New Member... Mid-eurotrip Tiger 900 Subframe Disaster!

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Samwise-zambeezi, Sep 4, 2024.

1. Samwise-zambeezi

Samwise-zambeezi New Member

Sep 4, 2024
    South Yorkshire, UK
    Hi All!

New to the forum, currently half way through a trip through the Italian Alps on my 2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro when disaster struck today.

Literally at the very top of Stelvio pass, on the way up I'd noticed a rubbing noise from my back brake. Stopped and checked but all seemed to look OK. Only when I reached the top did I notice a complete shear through the left hand subframe, vertical strut, just above the joint which lands between footpeg and pannier mounts.

We were able to get recovered by a local mechanic (Bobo's at Bormio - super sound guy) who reckons he can sort it tomorrow, enough to get us home where I'll take it up with triumph and my insurance.

Both me and our lass are only about 10.5st each, and the panniers are givi trekker aluminium ones being sold by triumph with their badge on, packed only with clothes - no extra heavy gear or anything. We've only covered proper roads, had no bad bumps or anything! I just can't believe it!

I had the old mk1 for 8 years without a hiccup, and only upgraded last year... Now this!

I've seen a similar case posted on Reddit, just wondered if anyone else had had or heard of anything similar happening? Cheers

20240904_151656.jpg

• Useful Useful x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Samwise :cool: lucky you picked it up but unlucky to have it, good luck getting it sorted with Triumph ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.
    Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    As above, good luck getting that sorted. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    Hi and welcome to the forum :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ajc400

ajc400 Senior Member

Jun 4, 2024
    Glasgow
    Not good, I hope Triumph come through for you.

It reminds me of the break Ewen and Charley tried to fix on The Long Way Round using a couple of tyre levers and some zip ties..... aye, right! They were well overloaded though. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 First Class Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    Eyup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome. Good luck with Triumph, I hope you get a successful outcome.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    Hi there! Welcome to the forum!;)
    Sorry for your damage. I hope you can sort it with Triumph.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    It appears to have 2 separate fractures, a hairline crack at the lower point and then a complete failure, that could have been really nasty, glad you found it early on and avoided a potential accident. I know you are on holiday and want to make the most of your time, however I would e mail Triumph UK in advance, attaching the picture and a brief explanation of why you need an emergency repair, and request the machine be booked in for a dealer inspection upon your return, I realise it is out of warranty, however this should not have happened. Triumph will more than likely say something along the lines of "as a goodwill gesture, we will provide a new part, but not the labour charge", I would refuse any such compromise and insist on a full cost replacement part. I wouldn't go through your insurance, it will cost you in the long term, and it is no fault of yours, given your explanation. Hope you can enjoy the rest of your adventure and keep safe.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    @Samwise-zambeezi Wow not good at all and as said lucky you saw it in time. I really do hope Triumph do something. Keep us updated.