New chain and sprockets in 12K?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by folkbloke, Aug 15, 2014.

1. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #1 folkbloke, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    I started getting some weird vibration on my 2013 America a few days before I went to France in June. A kind of pulsing that was most noticeable in 2nd at between 25-30 after which it smoothed out.

I took it to the dealers when I got back from France and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. It's just gone in for a 12k service and once again I complained about it. The dealers have now said it's the front sprocket and they have to change both sprockets and the chain and because they aren't warranty items it's going to cost £150. They at least agreed to bear the labour costs but say Triumph refuse to accept a warranty claim on chain and sprockets.

I pointed out that the chain has been cleaned and lubed every 300 miles or so and they agreed the chain was clean and well lubed and within the adjustment tolerances but Triumph wouldn't accept the claim. They say riding in the rain shortens the chain life and damages the sprockets as all the lube gets washed off!

Sounds like a load of bollox to me as I did 17,500 on my Tiger (a more powerful bike) with no issues at all and I rode in some of the heaviest rain storms I'd ever encountered on a bike.

I've tried to contact Triumph but was directed at an answerphone so I left a message.

Any comments? Anyone else had issues with sprockets apparently wearing so quickly?

2. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Update: Triumph came back to me and repeated what the dealer had told me that chain and sprockets were not warranty items. I agreed that wear and tear was expected on things like chains and sprockets but that the problem had started at 7.5k which I felt was unacceptable wear and tear. In the end they agreed that if the problem was cured by the new c & s they would sort it out with the dealer which I thought was a bit of a result. Five stars for Triumph :wink:

Mind you, if it doesn't cure the problem then it means something far more serious is going on in the engine ...... watch this space.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Well at least they came to the party which is more than Kawasaki U.K did with me.

Was it just the chain that went or were the sprockets had it as well?

4. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Interestingly the dealers reckoned it was the front sprocket and said the chain was OK, clean and well lubed but it became a matter of replacing the whole chain and sprocket set.

Nice to find out that Triumph does appear to respond positively though.

5. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Hmm, a call from the dealer today... the chain and sprockets haven't cured the problem. It's not wheel bearings and they have to do more investigation....

Watch this space....

6. 2wheeledant

2wheeledant Member

Aug 10, 2014
    South Shields
    Does not sound good..........

7. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    I suspect that there is an alignment issue, that would result in a lot lower life of the sprockets and chain.

I did 18000 miles on the ST with no issues, chain cleaned, dried and lubed regularly, more so if ridden in wet.

Ask them how they are checking the alignment of the two sprockets, post their reply.

8. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    The alignment marks were spot on so unless Triumph somehow got those wrong I don't think that's the problem. In fact I don't think the chain has anything to do with it because pulling in the clutch stopped the vibration which makes me think it's a bearing problem perhaps.

9. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Yep sounds like the engine might be coming out then. :frown:

10. 2wheeledant

2wheeledant Member

Aug 10, 2014
    South Shields
    Push triumph for a new engine, I would.......

11. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Curiouser and curiouser. The dealer has taken out a couple of Americas he had in the show room and reckons they do the same.

I'll be trying the same thing next week....

As before, watch this space.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Good stuff F.B keep us posted :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. andychain

andychain New Member

May 21, 2014
    As he Chain Man I find the answers you have been given surprising to say the least.

It shows that the level of knowledge regarding chains and sprockets is at best wanting.

Bad chain and sprockets would not give those symptoms and as for lubing an O ring chain
    dont get me started. Depending on riding style expect anywhere from 6000 to 20000 miles
    on a good chain. The only possitive comment from your dealer was the suggestion to replace
    both sprockets and chain. I hope you didnt get charged for the chain etc.

Andy

14. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    I never thought it was anything to do with the chain anyway!

At least they replaced the chain and sprockets for free. I'd expect at least 20k from a looked after chain, then again I'm not exactly the hardest rider .....

Latest update is that the dealer is now claiming "they all do that sir". I took one of their new Americas out and it didn't. Discussions are ongoing.