New Bear On The Block

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Ekatus, Oct 1, 2024 at 5:06 PM.

1. Hello everyone,
    I just came across this forum and decided to sign up. I'm quite new to Triumph despite being acquainted to the brand since many years. My name is Michael, I'm 60 years old and live in the little Village of Waldems-Esch in the Rheingau-Taunus County in Germany. I currently do own a 2023 Speed Twin 900 with some touch up here and there. My history in motorcycles starts with a Yamaha RD350 YPVS naked when I was young and innocent (and only half the weight of today), then decades of no motorcycle at all and re-started with a Royal Enfield Classic 500 EFI in 2012 - somehow fascinating but of abysmal quality. A dear friend of mine introduced me to vintage BMW 2-valve bikes because of allegedly being easy to repair o_O. I sold the Royal Enfield (which was a pain of its own) and got me a now 43 years old BMW R65 and restored it from almost scrap metal to nice and shiny. Becoming old and dealing with some health problems, I wanted something modern that does not have to be maintained by myself (no BMW dealership will touch a BMW that is as old as mine) and has significantly more power output and better handling. So I came across Triumph and got me the Speed Twin 900. However, being the unlucky person that I am I also ran into some issues which were dealt with by the Triumph Frankfurt/M staff. What remains is that with my 178cm of length (5'10'') and some girth the seat position is not optimal so I'm looking for a different seat which is also more suitable for long-distance trips.
    Besides Motorcycles I'm into current IT(for a living) and vintage IT (for leisure) and music (old music and 70s/80s Rock Music). I'm also a hobby harpsichordist. :blush:

Greetings
    Michael

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    @Ekatus Welcome to the family nice to have you with us. There are a multitude of seat options around just google. Burton bike bits might be able to help. But I am sure some patrons will be hear soon with options. Also there is options by lowering the shocks or foot pegs. Do keep us informed as to how you are getting on with your new bike. Be nice to see your new machine. Just tap the upload a file button bottom right corner and show it of. Hope the health gets much better

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    Hi and welcome to the forum :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ajc400

ajc400 Senior Member

Jun 4, 2024
    Glasgow
    Hello! :)

I came back to motorcycles about the same time as you, around 2011/12 and by the same route, renting a new Royal Enfield Classic 500 EFI then buying a used Bullet 500 Electra X with the original design engine. Mine was OK, but always smelt of petrol, so it had to go when we moved house and had a doorway between the garage and the kitchen.! :worried:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hallo Michael :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 First Class Member
    Subscriber