Motorcycle Mot's

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Big Sandy, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Quick question.... Does a m/c mot tester have to have a m/c licence?

I think they should... But don't know if its obligatory. Mine does... I should have asked him, huh? Not that a road test was done....

Give mine his due, he's picky. That's as it should be. I don't think the test is as thorough as the car one though. You'd think it would be more so...

• Like Like x 1
  2. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Maybe, but by and large car drivers don't have much understanding of their vehicle whereas a lot of bikers know their bikes inside out. Not many would take their bike for an MOT with a dangerous fault. Also, a tester can see if a bike is well looked after.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Good points :)

It just surprised me that they aren't a lot stricter... Just seems that's the way they're heading with everything else.

I certainly wouldn't go for a test if I thought it was at all suspect. Used to have a very handy Web link for the testers manual, but that's out of date now they faffed with everything.

But then, I wouldn't ride it if it was suspect either. :)

Surprising how many people don't check things every time they go out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    There’s a regular feature in MCN where they show some of the faults and bodges that mechanics and testers have found on bikes.
    It just shows how many people out there have no clue about bike maintenance and repair. There’s some truly horrifying things shown, both wilfully bodged and ignorantly neglected. o_O

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Member

Jul 27, 2019
    Worcester, UK
    Yay! Almost my fave page!

It beggars belief how some people can let things go so bad, or do such an incompetent job of maintenance!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    DD is correct no reason for them to have any driving licences at all, just a knowledge in vehicle safety and mot regulations that they are tested on whenever the ministry officer feels the need or is given a reason to recheck there procedures.
    Works the same for mechanics that fix them, just experience.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    But surely the best place to get the MOT done is in a bike garage where they know about bikes and their weaknesses?
    Even better if you trust their judgement!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Cant disagree DD, that's why I put the word "trust" in.

Find a good bike garage build up a relationship, which is mutually beneficial;
    we all want to know if something is not right and know it ain't a scam.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I use a guy a few miles from me for MOTs and other bits of work. He’s a bike mechanic, now with his own workshop who’s worked at many main dealers in the past.
    He’s got a great reputation amongst the biking community around here and is always as straight as a die as well as thorough with his inspections. You can really see his passion for bikes.
    As @Wishbone says, find a bike garage where you trust their judgment. I have, and will continue to use him and recommend his services. :cool:
    Oh, and he’s got a bike licence. :p

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Remember the advert?

They don't come rougher than a kwikfit fitter..
    Just pour your cash straight down the shitter..

Or something like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Incidentally, I have used the same garage and mot station for the last 20 years.... Trust both the testers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    LOL. The joys of Tesco home shopping. We actually convinced them to do home delivery... The decider was when we pointed out how much money the local lodges would be spending.

Asda was funny... They delivered to the next postcode, but not ours. They drove past us to do it too. Now, after some negotiation, they deliver here.

Don't know about you, but I hates shopping. Unless it's for parts, and bike stuff. ;)

And... This garage. When we lived 40 or so miles away we used to come here for the mots... Trust who you know, know who you trust!

Woof woof!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    #13 garethr, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    MOT Manuals online >>>> https://www.gov.uk/topic/mot/manuals

As far as the licence question is concerned...

The manual says:
    If the primary brake tester is not suitable to test the motorcycles braking system, a full or partial decelerometer test may be appropriate. If the testing station does not have an approved decelerometer they should decline to test.

and:
    Using a decelerometer
    If the motorcycle cannot be tested on a roller brake tester, you should carry out a decelerometer test.
    You should make sure that the motorcycle is in a safe condition to conduct a decelerometer test. If you think it is not safe you should refuse to complete the test.
    Before carrying out a decelerometer test on the public highway, you must ensure you have a suitable motorcycle licence and are familiar with the controls.
    For motorcycles with special controls, such as for disabled use, you can let the vehicle presenter conduct the decelerometer test if he/she wishes under the observation of the tester.

etc.

If the manual has to say "you must ensure you have a suitable motorcycle licence and are familiar with the controls" I think that implies that the tester might not have a bike licence.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    Your local council may have a testing station that is open to the public. Obviously, they have no interest in doing repairs. It's unlikely that they will test motorcycles, though.

This is my local council
    https://www.southglos.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/transport/mot-testing/mot-testing/

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Which says to me that the tester need not have a license if the test station has a suitable rolling road. No rolling road, the tester has to have a license, or they can't do the test.

Fairy Nuff. Answered my question nicely, thank you :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Nuther question then for all you 4x4 and Quattro/xdrive users. How do you get on at mot time with regards to brake testing? I was under the impression that the 4 wheel drive system doesn’t like having two wheels stationary while the other two, or at least one, is running in the brake roller. My tester who I’ve been to for years always disables the traction control on my car, a RWD German car, :rolleyes: and has had to road test one of my earlier cars cos it was too low to safely get the wheels in the rollers.
    Ps, this is not a driving licence question I’m asking how you 4x4 peeps get the brakes tested.

17. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    The rolling road will either break something or spit the vehicle off as the other axle works. My S3 has selectable 4wd, and free wheel hubs on the front axle, so could go on the rollers. However, they always use the decellerometer on a road test. I do remember one year the garage I used at that time used a mat thing on the garage floor. Never saw one before, or after.

Auto engaging fwh could cause some interesting accidents during a test I think.

18. Godders

Godders Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Keith
    I used to scrutineer race bikes without actually ever racing (except motocross). As has been said it’s just a second pair of eyes to check it’s safe.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Michael Greenhaf

Dec 29, 2017
    Merthyr Tydfil
    I had my mot done as my new tyres were fitted I asked are you going to do the mot now he said I've done it as I was fitting your tyres they are bikers who know bikes and charged me £100 less for the same avon cobras for my America than another garage Ill be taking my bike there from now on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Being that picky and issuing pointless advisories seems stupid to me....l wouldn't use the guy!