Mo.lock Along Side Keyed Ignition/secondary Off Switch.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by St675k, Nov 26, 2023.

1. St675k

St675k New Member

Nov 26, 2023
    Australia
    Hello, whilst browsing through this forum I came upon a thread that mentions the possibility of electrical damage by using the kill switch rather than turning the key off.
    I currently have a mo.lock installed without a keyed ignition and I've been using the Killswitch to cut the engine, if I were to use the mo.lock id have to get the keys out of my pocket (gloves off etc) and locate the tag which is in a hidden spot to turn it off. Is it possible to wire a simple toggle switch to use as an off key that works along side the mo.lock? Has anyone used mo.lock along side a keyed ignition?

Thanks

2. Sconnie

Sconnie New Member

Dec 4, 2023
    USA
    There should be absolutely nothing wrong with using your kill switch for any motorcycle. It basically interrupts the same ignition and fuel circuits as the key switch, and these computerized days in under almost no load. I know that old-timers always said not to use it because the contacts of the kill switch were much less durable than the ignition switch. And sales people are trained to tell new riders to just use the key, only so they don't forget to take it out of the ignition! If there is something specific to Triumph on why you shouldn't use it, that would seem to be an engineering flaw. I'm new to the forum and Triumph but do electrical engineering, so if I'm missing something please let me know.

BTW, I use the mUnit and mo.Lock on my old RD250 rebuild, and use the kill switch from 1974 to control it. Works just fine.

3. St675k

St675k New Member

Nov 26, 2023
    Australia
    Ah great, that put my mind at rest, cheers for the reply Sconnie.