Mk 1 speed triple problem slow to return to idle

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Pat A, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Pat A

Pat A New Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Hi all,
    Looking for help with a problem with my Mk 1 speed triple, the bike is very slow to return to tick over and sometimes sticks at about 3k, the throttle action is ok, returns with a crack, so don't suspect the cable. Have checked for air leaks around Carbs, all ok.
    Also have noticed that the rev-counter does not return to zero when turning off the engine, stays about 500 rpm, it only returns to stop once ignition is turned back on, have tried another rev-counter and it does exactly the same. Cant see how the two problems are linked but the chance of two tachos being faulty is strange.
    Bike as done just over 10K, starts and idles ok and runs ok other than this, my next plan is to balance the carbs.
    Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks Pat

2. ram33

ram33 New Member

Oct 21, 2013
    usual cause (if throttle / linkage are free) is air leak or balance. was it ok before or has it always been like this?
    carb to head rubbers known to crack under the clips where you cant see until you remove them and stretch the rubber.
    balance the carbs would be the quickest/easiest 1st check.
    also make sure the vacuum caps are fitted and tight.
    other possibilities are hole in diaphragm and blocked passages in carb idle circuit

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pat A

Pat A New Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Hi ram,
    Thanks for the reply, don't know how I have done it but I seem to have started two threads. I will as you suggest check the balance of the carbs first along with the carb rubbers and vacuum caps. If all ok I will have to strip the carbs and check diaphragm, might renew throttle cable as well just to rule it out.
    I have owned the bike for 12 yrs and its been ok till now.
    Any thoughts on the rev-counter problem, I think its a separate issue.

4. ram33

ram33 New Member

Oct 21, 2013
    dont know much about speed triples, but i assume they dont all do it?
    what happens if you stop engine with kill switch so the ignition is still on?
    maybe check for clean connections and 12v at volts.
    what if you rev engine and turn off ( while needle is still up?) does it still stop at 500 rpm then?

5. Pat A

Pat A New Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Hi,
    Have just tried your suggestions, if I turn the engine off with the key at any revs the needle stops at 500 rpm, only returns to stop when key is turned back on. If I stop the engine with the kill switch it returns straight down to stop ?

6. wardy88

wardy88 New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Staffordshire
    Could be somethin simple as blockd pilot jet. My mate had sam sort of issue on his r6 an he balanced carbs pressure tested an pulld carbs off to find crap in yhe jet stoping it revvong down to idle correct

7. ram33

ram33 New Member

Oct 21, 2013
    looking on web, i would check the connections are clean on the three pin block connector at the rear.
    also check and clean all coil connections (esp coil 1)

8. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    #8 SteveJ, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    I think I may have found out why you are having issues with your rev counter this is a know problem and can be fixed with a change of diode although where and how I'm not sure

Also sound like you may have some crud in your idle jets that may be causing a issue with the idiling if it is just the tick over you are having issues with.

Cheers

Steve

9. Pat A

Pat A New Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Thanks Steve,
    Will have to find out were the diode is located, have tried another rev counter but it was same. Have not got round to stripping the carbs yet, but will do. Thanks also wardy for your reply.
    Pat