Map Hoses? Vapor Canister Hoses? Confused

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Walter Drane, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Walter Drane

Walter Drane New Member

Feb 21, 2024
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Hi, I'm trying to put together a puzzle with missing parts... I purchased a 2015 Storm on which a 'mechanic' was attempting to replace the fuel pump. He took off the tank, disconnected (and lost) some items, disconnected the throttle cables and a few other things, collected $900 from the previous owner, and then handed it back to her in that condition. I think I have sorted out most of 'what goes where', but would like verification of a few things from those in the know:

In one picture I attached you can see a hose with a blue mark on it coming out of the air box area and hanging down. I am assuming this is the vent hose that runs from the fuel tank vent port to the vapor canister system. Please confirm. Thanks!

The other picture shows a port on the throttle body. I am not sure whether this is where the vapor lines from the canister system would be plugged to return the vapors to the intake tract, or this is where the MAP sensor tubes should go. The canister vapor return lines and the MAP tubes from the sensors are nowhere to be found! If the ports are for the canister vapor return lines, then where should the MAP tubes from the sensors go? Also, are the MAP sensor tubes just vacuum lines that I can purchase from an auto parts store? And, given the ports are actually for the canister vapor return lines, can I just plug them or cross connect them for now?

I've poured over the Triumph shop manual trying to figure this out, however the 'exploded' images do not really show what goes to where...

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Triumph 10.jpg

Triumph 9.jpg

2. Walter Drane

Walter Drane New Member

Feb 21, 2024
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I think I may have sorted this out but am looking for confirmation. When I look at the other (left) side of the bike, I see that there are two ports with tubes on them instead of just one as on the right side. I know that one of the ports on each side that has a hose on it is for the Secondary Air System, so I'm assuming the additional port with the hose on it on the left side (as shown in the attached picture) is the vapor return line. If that's the case, then as designed is there a vapor return line to only the left cylinder? If so, then the ports on each side that do not have lines to them already must be the MAP sensor lines. I guess... And if that is the case, then do I just need to run regular vacuum tubes to the respective MAP sensors under the fuel tank? Thanks again!

Triumph 11.jpg

3. Alan1983

Alan1983 New Member

Jan 26, 2024
    Rotterdam Netherlands
    Hi Walter,
    I am not familiar with your bike, although I have recently fitted a evaporative loss system to my daytona 600.
    If you look downstream (air intake - airbox - throttle bodies - inlet ports).
    Then the "manifold air pressure" (MAP) sensor should be connected before the throttle butterfly (airbox side) and the vapor return lines should be connected after the throttle butterfly (inlet port side).
    If in doubt which connection on the throttle body is what, you can check the chapter on balancing throttle bodies, in the workshop manual.
    The ports used for balancing are the same used for the vapor return.
    The vapor return line is connected to both cylinders by means of a T- connection, if i am not mistaken.