Featured Leicester To Albufeira In The Algarve

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by TheOtherDennis, Jul 8, 2024.

Tags:
  1. TheOtherDennis

TheOtherDennis Well-Known Member
    Subscriber

May 7, 2024
    Lutterworth
    #1 TheOtherDennis, Jul 8, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2024
    In June, I went from Leicester down to Portsmouth, caught the ferry to Santander and then rode down through Spain to Albufeira in Portugal for my niece's wedding.

Then I rode back up to Bilbao before catching the ferry back home. I met a couple of other Triumph owners on the ferry back - Al and Dave both have Triumph Rockets, while Al's other half Becks has Tiger 900. Dave was accompanied by his other half Liz. Al and Liz were marshals on the Rocket Celebration Day at Hinckley a few weeks ago.

Anyway, I stopped in Zamora, Caceres and Beja on the way down, spent three nights in Albufeira and then stopped at Merida, Avila and Burgos on the way back up.

1,758 miles in all, which is less than many, but not bad for a first effort, I reckon.

I spent most of the trip on the motorways, because this was my first time touring abroad and I underestimated the amount of time I'd spend in the saddle. So I abandoned the biking routes in order to enjoy the destinations when I got there.

I still had a blast, though. Spanish roads are almost empty compared to ours. I couldn't believe how busy our roads were when I got back. The traffic in this country is mental.

Here are just a few pics...

IMG_0594.jpeg

IMG_0640.jpeg

IMG_0632.jpeg

IMG_0629.jpeg

IMG_0627.jpeg

IMG_0624.jpeg

IMG_0613.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
  2. TheOtherDennis

Subscriber

May 7, 2024
    Lutterworth
    A few more pics...

IMG_0621.jpeg

IMG_0599.jpeg

IMG_0606.jpeg

IMG_0608.jpeg

IMG_0610.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
  3. TheOtherDennis

Subscriber

May 7, 2024
    Lutterworth
    And a few more...

IMG_0569.jpeg

IMG_0574.jpeg

IMG_0579.jpeg

IMG_0602.jpeg

IMG_0550.jpeg

IMG_0565.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
  4. edtxw01

edtxw01 New Member

Feb 17, 2024
    UK
    Great photos. Your experience is normal. I went to Ireland in June, almost no traffic. Returned to Wales/ England OMG cars everywhere. I've had the same experience on many trips to Europe.
    Now you've done it, start planning the next trip. I went to Tuscani, Italy last September, rode through France on the way down, then back through Austria, Germany and France. Again, very little traffic.
    Just go...Enjoy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @TheOtherDennis: Thanks for sharing your experience and your great photos with us! ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. TheOtherDennis

Subscriber

May 7, 2024
    Lutterworth
    Thanks guys. :cool: I'm thinking of going to France next time.

@edtxw01 - that sounds an amazing trip! Top work!

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that when I stopped for fuel once, the young lady who served me started talking to me. I didn't quite get what she was saying at first, but then worked out she was asking what size my bike is (it's an 800 XRT), because she has a Tiger 900! :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  7. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    If you used the motorways, make sure you have paid any tolls due.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. TheOtherDennis

Subscriber

May 7, 2024
    Lutterworth
    Yeah, I got badly bitten with those - the first toll road I went on, I followed a local. Big mistake. They went through what must have been one of the pre-paid gates. I didn't realise that I had to go through one with a bar on it and pick up a ticket, so when I got to the other end and didn't have a ticket, I got charged the full price, like when you lose a car park ticket you get charged for the full day.

So instead of paying about 11 or 12 euros, I paid 67!! Didn't make that mistake again.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  10. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    A lot are ticket less, and just record your journey.

• Agree Agree x 2