Is Anyone Riding Out Today?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by johne, Dec 3, 2023.

1. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    #1 johne, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    Many moons ago when I had to work for a living and was a skinny youth, I had to commute to work in all weathers on my trusty RD200 Yamaha. The commute wasn't that far, about 6 miles each way, but todays weather here in the UK reminds me of that time when I went slipping and sliding through the snow and ice to get to work for 7:30 am. There were no buses running that early from the village where I lived, so it was the bike or walk. I know I won't be alone in having recollections like that, I bet many of you had their motorbike or moped as your sole source of transport at one time or another, perhaps you still do? Arriving at work with semi frost bitten fingers and toes.:cold_sweat:

As I sit at home in my privileged position of not having to go out to work (or for any other reason) today as its very wintery everywhere throughout the land as far as I know, I'm also aware its Sunday, but some people are still out there working. I just wondered if any of you guys /gals are heading out on two wheels today for whatever reason. Mebbe forced into it by work commitments or is anyone out for pleasure (if you could call it that). Just wonderin'

I should add the stupid half of my brain (probably more like 95% of it) could be tempted to get togged up and go for a short spin if it wasn't for the fact all my bikes are tucked up dry and warm in the garage and also SORNed for the winter.

motorbike-covered-in-snow-uk-winter-snowing-roads-road-britain-weather-D2DE16.jpg

motorbike-covered-in-snow-uk-winter-snowing-roads-road-britain-weather-D2DE16.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The ZZR is sorned, the Street Scrambler has the face on and the dirt bike needs a new front tyre so decided against it today. :joy::joy:
    Seriously though, back in the mid 80's myself and a couple of green laning mates used to head out in weather like this and we had some good laughs. Fresh snow can offer a surprising amount of grip but hardpack and/or ice, forget it.
    On one occasion we got up onto Totley Moor in 10-12" of snow, me on my TY250 and my mate on his DT175. All was going well until he stalled and his kick start lever broke off on the first kick. We took the lever off my TY to try and get it started but it didn't fit. We discovered that its impossible to bump start a bike in that much snow on top of soft peat so we ended up pushing it over a mile back to the road. Then we went home knackered.:joy:
    With road traffic as it is today and the standard of driving I wouldn't dare risk it!

After 40+ years of working outside, up and down ladders in all weathers I'm just so glad I don't have to anymore. Retirement, the best invention since the wheel! :grinning::grinning:

• Like Like x 7
  3. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    A guy went past our house on his DT this morning with about 6" of snow on the ground, some of which is compacted due to cars. Brave lad!
    I've done it many times in the past but got a bit more sense now (allegedly).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    No more winter riding for me. Many moons ago I used a trusty Honda CG125 as my winter hack for my 17 miles commute. One nasty day was nearly there and feeling more confident on a straight stretch of road before hitting a patch of black ice at about 50mph. The camber of the road had me off in an instance and gracefully slid up the road. Had loads of gear on and luckily did not hit anything so no harm done apart from a broken lever and indicator. Never again though.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I came off a bicycle, on black ice, on the way to work one morning in 2004 at about 15mph negotiating a bend I'd been round practically every working day for the previous 20yrs. Result was a broken left hip followed by an operation to insert two large screws, plus 3 months off work. On the X-ray they're around 3-4" long and look like large self tappers you can get at B&Q! I remember going to the launch of the new model R1, I had on order, on crutches.:)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Had no choice as a yoof..!
    The problem was also that you got covered in snow and became invisible to other , out of control road users. Thankfully survived those days and now don’t have to worry about even taking the car out in these conditions…!
    Even the sound of others scraping the frost off their cars sends me back to bed with a coffee to play with my Wordle …!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    More sense ….? yeah riight…..rofl…:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    I did say "allegedly" :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. John Clifton

John Clifton Member

Aug 3, 2022
    Aldershot
    Forget it! I'm basically a year-round rider but when the temperature drops below about 3 degrees I won't risk it. My reasons are frost, ice, black ice, fog and other road users driving/riding like it's a summer's day! Safety First.

• Like Like x 1
  10. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Ditto!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Tim Gibbs

Tim Gibbs Active Member

Oct 27, 2023
    Dorset
    Having put my bike away for the winter (ACF50, battery on trickle charge once a week, tank full with a splash of stabaliser) I took it out for a spin this morning, bit of a break in the weather, roads sort of dry, not cold, it was a lovely run.
    Once it has cooled down it will have a wash, muc off, ACF50, battery on trickle charge and fuel top up with E5 for the winter, or next week.
    Can't resist going out on it.