Insurance....You want how much!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Thruccyboy, May 18, 2016.

1. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    So, it`s insurance renewal time.
    it`s always a tedious time for me as I have 3 bikes, 2 of them rarely cause a problem.....it`s always my beloved Thruxton that gives me a headache.
    I`m with Carol Nash & when their quote come through it had gone up £170!!!! for no apparent reason at all, apart from our dear friend the Chancellor upping IPT on the QT, the robbing Buzzard...Damn this predictive text, wrong again!!!
    So the quest started to get a better quote as I`m talking way over £500 & I just don`t know why? Ok, so Frank Bruno may be the Avon lady, but so what?. Seriously folks, I do not live in a bad neighbourhood & I don`t have points or a criminal conviction....Ever!!!!

One quote never finished as it had already gone over the magic £500, Hastings Direct wouldn`t give me a quote even after a lengthy 25 minute phone chat. 2 online applications see me get to the end (eventually) only to be told that I needed to ring them as they had a few questions they wanted to ask..... So much for getting a good deal with multi-bike policies!
    After a frustrating afternoon (3hrs in total) both on-line & on the WWW I returned to CN & they re-looked at the policy & with a few tweaks went on to save me well over a £100 on the original quote.

Insurance is so damned fickle or so it seems & clearly address orientated. There seems to be discounts for belonging to the local bowls club & being a payed up member of the WI (of which I`m not of course...Hate bowls):D,..... but the £200 almax chain & lock cuts little ice.

And what is it about this question...."does it have a sidecar fitted":eek::eek::eek: yep, my Superdream has a sidecar fitted...& my Tiger & my Thruxton too:confused:...... I doubt 5% of bikes have sidecars fitted to them these days,though wonder quotes are so bleeding varied & often wide of the mark if they are still asking questions as if we were still in the 1960`s...????:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Frustrations are further compounded when you mention the word "Modifications".....where do you start?
    Technically, if you replace a bolt that`s nicklel plated with a A2 stainless steel one, it`s a mod, you put a set of aftermarket pads in that gives you better braking, then that too could be seen as a performance mod & whilst I accept that a Hyabusa with a Saturn 5 rocket strapped to it`s back is a mod, most mods on my Thruxton are really trivial (apart from the Saturn 5 rocket thingy of course).....& don`t even get me started with uninsured drivers & the associated risk of being hit by one!!!!
    Everyone`s says....Come to us, we will give you a no-nonsense, easy to understand, great priced quote......yeah, right & there goes another Pink elephant flying past my window!

And another mute point,the legal cover at £32 on some policy`s???....I have it on my car, house & bike too...Shouldn`t they do one that covers all 3 or is it just me thinking it`s a money making scam??
    BLOODY INSURANCE.....GRRRRRR
    And another thing.....Nope, rant over for another year, til my insurance is due again anyhow;)

So, I`m off to lay in a darkened room with just a bit of white noise & Brotherhood of Man CD on repeat to keep me company in full knowledge that I am happy with my insurance for yet another year....or am I???? Did I disclose that I run the tyre pressure 2 PSI under on the front???? Bugger

• Like Like x 4
  2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    I feel for you, Its a bloody mine field out there the robbing barstewarts. :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    #3 Thruccyboy, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
    This IPT thing.....Mr Osbourne put it up in the budget I believe.... 10%..... That`s £50 on a £500 policy. It just ain`t fair to decent honest people. You can see why people go without insurance can`t you???? And that`s why our insurance goes up year on year....You just can`t win here in the UK:mad::mad::mad::(:(:(

4. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    #4 Thruccyboy, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
    Just looked.....aimed at raising an extra £8.1 bn for the treasury by 2021:mad: & it come in & we all stood by & did F**k all about it as usual.....We are such sap`s here in England.
    It is pitiful at times what they get away with....
    That`s why I`ve stopped stealing...
    Apparently, the Government don`t like competition!!!:):)

• Like Like x 2
  5. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Yep your Taxed, taxed and taxed again and again finally on your death your taxed.
    taxed on ya wage, then on goods you buy, then on your home purchase then on every kind of insurance you need,
    on your vehicles each one of them as you say the residents of the uk are to easy going and say nowt !!!!
    where getting screwed and always were, and probably always will, whats next
    you got me at it now !!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Sorry TEZ 217, didn`t mean to get you moaning.

7. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Ha Ha Its does ya good now and then, but stand by every word - Come the Revolution ....

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    You bet, young man, you bet;);)

9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Really is pants, when bennetts put my ins up from £259 to &700 odd pounds, for the Thrux on its own, people told me what a good deal they were getting, I'm with Hastings direct for my Thrux and tiger for 350, only renewed last month, what's the difference between you and me? Age, postal area? We're probably pretty similar. I can't wait for my renewal date next year!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Strange thing though.....I could get the tiger on its own for ;;£;127! Makes you wonder if multibike insurance is really the bargain they say it is?

11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I'm using it at the moment with Bennetts but you do wonder sometimes.

12. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Yes, I've found several times over recent years that you get no discount for security measures (perhaps area dependent?). So I've got into the habit of asking, and if no discount is given then don't want it included on policy, only gives them an excuse not to pay out if stolen when not fitted.
    Perhaps they'd refuse claim if extra unspecified security IS fitted:eek:......wouldn't put it past them!:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Well as if to rub salt in an already gaping wound. I heard back from Bikesure, Adrian Flux, they could of cut my premium to £343!!!!. One to get a quote from next year maybe.....?
    There must be some regulator out there who can stop this madness...my quotes this year have ranged from £780 down to £343! That's absolutely boll*cks. You cannot help but feel totally & utterly ripped off by people from your own country who are supposed to be getting you the best deal.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

14. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    cancel your other one, you should have 2 weeks!!

15. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Agreed, threaten your new provider with cancellation unless they can reduce it to £300 to make it worthwhile for your to stay :D

16. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    #16 Thruccyboy, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    I've been there before with cancellation of policies...normally nothing but grief
    Made a MASSIVE mistake of taking 2 policies out with BeWiser. They put my thruxton through as a 2002 year & not 2012 ( even tho they didn't make the thruxton in 2002 !!). They phoned me to say they'd made a mistake & however much they tried to reduce my policy my 2012 bike had caused the premium to go up by £300!....although their mistake they couldn't see why I was spitting nails....their reply to my protest was to say " you can always cancel your policies" at a cost of £50 each one.
    Don't ever make the mistake of thinking BeWiser are good to deal with, cos in my experience....they ain'!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    In 39 years of motorcycling.....BeWiser were without doubt the worst by a long, long way....should have BeenWiser & avoided them like a dose of the clap

• Like Like x 1
  18. waffoo

waffoo Member

May 19, 2016
    Gloucester, UK
    Just set up multibike with a 1998 Fazer and 2016 Thruxton. Excess on the Fazer is £650...I'm 42 and been riding 17 years. I actually had to set up a brand new policy because Chaucer wouldn't cover me on the Thruxton without 6 months' riding experience simply because I hadn't been riding a 600cc bike over the last 12 months - the Fazer displaces 599cc...

19. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That 1cc has cost you dear!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Insurance is so damn fickle...You couldn't make it up.....no wait....I think they do make it up!

• Like Like x 1