765 Im About To Buy A Street/speed Triple, Need Some Help.

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by Luke Shreddar, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Luke Shreddar

Luke Shreddar New Member

Sep 20, 2020
    Australia
    #1 Luke Shreddar, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    I am 5 weeks out from buying my first full powered bike, coming from a Honda CB500F. I bought the bike to save money for a house loan deposit, and it has done that, but what i didn't predict was getting a taste for acceleration, and here we are.

My dealer has 3 Triumph nakeds being;
    2019 street triple r (new) $15500AUD
    2020 speed triple RS (new) $25000AUD
    and a slightly used 2019 street triple R for $15000AUD

Now my main question is - Is the triple RS 765 model's higher power due to the Arrow exhaust? Or is it in fact a different engine? If i buy a street triple, i will be putting on a full system, Road 5s, and hefty springs because i am 115kg. Would i be wasting my money in buying the street RS when im going to be removing the exhaust anyway? Im reading the Ohlins shock and brembo breaks really wont make much difference in the intended use of commuting around town. But if i have to buy the RS for its higher output then so be it.

I am also test riding the Speed triple RS, It is much more expensive but OMG it is one hell of a sexy bike.

Any and all thoughts on this wonderful decision i have in front of me would be muchly appreciated.

Peace!

Luke.

2. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    An full $$$ exhaust system on a modern bike may be worth an extra 5 HP. Your current bike may be uninspiring 70-80 HP because it lacks this important thing called Torque. Now you talking about a triple that has Torque. Budget some money for new underwear as you may shite yourself from discovering Torque.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Luke Shreddar

Luke Shreddar New Member

Sep 20, 2020
    Australia
    HAHA, my cb500 has about 37 HP at the rear wheel. I cannot wait for this pants pooping moment!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #4 Sandi T, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    A nice trio of choices you have, Luke! I have a 2019 Speed Triple RS and love it. My hubby used to have a Street Triple R but it's no longer in our garage. But not because he didn't like it. He just wanted one bike rather than two and that was the one to go.

Knowing nothing other than what you provided, I'd say that the best deal going of the three is the new Speed Triple R. Just a tick over the cost of the used Street but significantly less than the 2020 Speedy. But if you can test ride them that would go a long way towards helping you make a decision, I'd think. Good luck with your decision and please let us know--with words AND photos--what you decide.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    The Speed Triple has a larger 1050cc engine, the Street is 765, that is why the difference in power not anything to do with the exhaust. I my opinion you would be better off with the Street & spend some money on getting the suspension set to suit you. In reality you can ride just as quick on the smaller bike with the added advantage of light & nimble handling & a much better gearbox.
    Whatever you do, take time to adjust before going large on the gas!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Luke Shreddar

Luke Shreddar New Member

Sep 20, 2020
    Australia
    I have amended my original post, i was comparing the 765 R to the 765 RS. the RS has more HP than the R model of the same year.
    You think the Speed T 1050 would be too much for me coming from a CB500?

Thankyou for your help.

7. Luke Shreddar

Luke Shreddar New Member

Sep 20, 2020
    Australia
    I will definitely chuck some photos up when i get the new ride.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Don’t be seduced by bhp. Torque (think Holden V8) in the mid range oomph (cylinder pressure) that makes a bike tractable to ride without dancing on the gear shifter. Bhp is torque x rpm - if it’s all at the top end go figure. The RS sells profitably on all its bells and whistles but you would need a race track and the skills to separate the subtle suspension differences while the R (with more mid range torque) is the better everyday ride - unless you ride everywhere with your hair on fire. You pays your money.....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Iamtheonlyone

Iamtheonlyone Senior Member

Jul 23, 2019
    The North
    765RS would be my choice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I'm with Callumity on torque, Luke. I always say that hp would be great.....if there weren't speed limits on the open roads. To my tastes, torque is the more fun aspect of the two. But it all depends on what you like.

Being new to Triumph, you might consider going with the "slightly" used R model which seems priced significantly lower than the new RS. If you're certain you'll love it, then maybe the new RS. Tough choice! But a fun one.... ;):grinning:

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 6.35.36 AM.png

• Like Like x 2
  11. Norman Dickenson

Norman Dickenson New Member

Aug 29, 2020
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I think going from that Honda to a Speed Triple would share the shit out of you. Just my opinion. The 765 RS is really built for the racetrack with more
    suspension options. Raw horsepower doesn't mean anything unless you
    plan on riding 100+ MPH regularly. Midrange torque is where the fun is
    for the average thrill seeking bloke or blokette. That said, I think the 765 R will be more bike than you will know what to do with. With the money saved invest in a pro helping you set up the suspension for your weight/use and a few nice accessories. The extra cost of the new vs used gives you an additional year warranty and you will also know that the engine it is broken in correctly. I've got the 765 R having sold a Yamaha FZ-09 to buy it. I loved
    the FZ-09. I love the 765 R way more. Lighter, more nimble, better gear ratios. Test ride these bikes first and ride fast.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    My 5 cent....testdrive them and decide after that.
    The bikes geometry, seat and the way they all handle is quite different.
    I love both the Street and Speed triple but I like the size of the Speed Triple.
    Havin said that, I compare from my 675 2009.

So testdrive them, and don' just focus on power (its hard not to).
    Seating position, seat, gearbox and all these things is important (imho).

None of the bikes you've listed will disappoint.
    Also have a look at insurance, that might be a dealbreaker.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    It’s an entirely personal choice on whether the Speed would be more or less suitable than. Street. I had a Street RS & loved it, but have been riding bikes for years & have learned it’s not always about outright power. Test rides are best, the more the better, the longer the better. A further note, if you are commuting day in day out then the easier it is to ride the better so go with head as well as heart!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Luke Shreddar

Luke Shreddar New Member

Sep 20, 2020
    Australia
    Thanks for the awesome insights people, I will take the longest test ride possible. I am grateful that both speed and street triples are here to test ride, my town is smallish.

• Like Like x 1
  15. duke63

duke63 New Member

Apr 28, 2012
    If you xcan test ride them then do so. We can give loads of info but it doesn't mean you will feel the same way.

Personally, the Street is the more modern feeling bike and the weight difference is significant, significant enough to make the bhp difference to the Speed irrelevant. Lighter bikes are always more fun.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mickyt

Mickyt New Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Mount Warrigal, NSW, 2528
    Buy mine , I have a 2020 triumph street triple 765rs for sale , I paid 19800 and want 16500. I live in Wollongong if your interested.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Do you deliver to Dundee Forest, NT?

18. Mickyt

Mickyt New Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Mount Warrigal, NSW, 2528
    Gee mate that's pushing it. I'm sure a company like Bike logistics will but your looking probably around 1000 dollars for transport, maybe more.

19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Luke has been coy about which corner of your continent he inhabits!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Luke Shreddar

Luke Shreddar New Member

Sep 20, 2020
    Australia
    Im in Townsville Queensland. I will test ride in 5 weeks and hit you up if the 765 RS is the go Mickyt. Cheers mate

• Like Like x 1