Ignition Cable Snapped

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by SteveSpits, Sep 24, 2023.

1. SteveSpits

SteveSpits New Member

Sep 24, 2023
    London
    Hello all,

Small cable that runs out of the bottom of ignition barrel has degraded and snapped so bike won’t start when the starter button is pressed. I have managed to pare back some sheathing with a knife to get me home.

Question is can just this small cable be replaced (it’s quite mangled), or will a new ignition barrel be required, with complications of immobiliser coding (perhaps????) and matching the key to fuel caps/seat etc.

Anyone had this and how much did it cost please?

thanks

IMG_6784.png

2. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    #2 Boothman, Sep 25, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
    What bike/year is it @SteveSpits - the photo looks similar to my 2013 plate Tiger 1050 SE

3. SteveSpits

SteveSpits New Member

Sep 24, 2023
    London

Hi, 2013 Street Triple, probably should have mentioned that to begin with!!

4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Is there a wire stub to play with at the bottom of the ignition barrel or has it snapped off flush?

An underside picture would help as it's not obvious in the current pic. but assuming thats the x2 ends visible I'd just solder them together and heatshrink the joint.

Presumably the cable is too tight, so firstly you need to take the tank off and find out why. Personally I'd add a few centimetres of extra wire to remove the tension.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteveSpits

SteveSpits New Member

Sep 24, 2023
    London

Currently that’s what I am attempting. But you guessed right; barely any wire to play with and bugger all space to get any tools in!!!

6. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Not sure if this will help. I found it while making my usual trawl of ebay for some parts for my bike.

TRIUMPH IGNITION BARREL COVER, ANTENA & WIRING | eBay

I'm guessing its universal to several Triumph models and years and might enable you to rebuild your ignition switch without the need for coding. The first thing for you to check would be to see if the cables and connectors match yours.

When you do make your repairs, as @Eldon has said check for slack around the head stock, Triumph have a habit of making the wiring around there a bit tight.

Hope this helps and you get going soon:).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Not the usual place for the wiring to fail. It almost looks like it has been tampered with and cut through?

• Agree Agree x 1