Ignition barrel replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Stimple, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Stimple

Stimple Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Hi,
    Some very unhelpful people tried to steel my 2001 RS. I bought a new yoke with key ignition from the USofA to replace the one they broke but the locking pin doesn't seem to work. Is this an American variation or is it just that it has not been used? Have I wasted my money or is there some way in which I can get it to work.

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #2 Sprinter, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    Hi, just came on to post ignition question too . I am replacing one I think is originally US system.(cos I found it difficult to find replacement key, main groove on wrong side or sumit).
    Whats the locking pin?
    does your system go to steering lock when not fitted (do I need to return my one while I still have time) or does it need to be fitted to turn that far.
    2000 RS

001.jpg

002.jpg

3. Stimple

Stimple Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Hi jtd.
    The locking pin is the thing that comes out of the back of the barrel to lock the forks in place. In my old one I can't take the key out if the forks are not turned full left and the steering lock is engaged. On the new lock, there are two settings, on and off. I'm not sure if it needs to be fitted to work properly. I can't find any reason why it would make a difference. I would check with the vendor to make sure it works properly before you end up paying for one that is no good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    ta Stimple checked it . fixed to vice and works fine I could not turn it when in my hands but clamped, it worked as it should - does this help ? and if am lucky.. anti tampers were replaced, so good to go

5. Stimple

Stimple Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Hey jtd,
    Tried putting it in a vice but no luck.
    Destroyed the lock trying to work out why it wouldn't work. I think the keys are replacements or something because the pins wouldn't retract far enough to allow the barrel to move freely. bought another one on ebay which I can now dismantle in confidence in order to swap with my original barrel....
    Apart from the cost all is good. Hopefully I can recoup my losses a bit by cobbling a working unit together out of spare parts and resell.