Hot Starting

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Petefin, May 24, 2017.

1. Petefin

Petefin New Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Glenrothes
    Hi Guys,
    Can anyone advise me on a re-occurring problem? It seems to happen when the bike is hot!?
    If I stall the bike then immediately pull the clutch and attempt to crank the engine, it is like the battery is flat. Then after a few tries, it cranks the engine and all is well.
    I first suspected a bad battery, replaced it with a new one and I still get the same problem. It has not done this when cold.
    It doesn't do this all the time, only when I stall it in heavy traffic!!!
    The bike is a 2015 Sprint GT with 3500 miles.
    Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Pete

2. Petefin

Petefin New Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Glenrothes
    No loose terminals, especially after the same problem with a new battery.
    If it was a slipping sprag clutch, would I not hear the starter motor spinning without it cranking the engine?

Pete

3. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Yes!
    STOP stalling it!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Petefin

Petefin New Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Glenrothes
    Hi MickEng,

Great advice, I'll give it a try!:p

SmilinJack, bike had done a long run, a couple of hours, so the battery should have been well charged!?

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  5. Petefin

Petefin New Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Glenrothes
    It's still under a three month warranty I got when I bought it for a (Yamaha) dealer. Not so sure he would get to the bottom of such an intermittent fault on a make he isn't familiar with, hence asking the real experts.
    I can look at all the connectors between battery & starter motor as you make a valid pint.
    Thanks.

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  6. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I have exactly that on my 2016 speed triple. Only 2,000 miles and if I stall it at the lights and go for an immediate restart I have all the symptoms of a dead battery, has happened to me three times.

After 10/15 seconds it will restart perfectly.

I spoke to my Triumph dealer and they say to switch off and on, let it go through its start up sequence and it should be fine.
    What is strange is that if it was low voltage then the ECU would cut in to stop any attempt to start, but it doesn't.

To me that seems like the battery needs to recover it's electrical juice

• Useful Useful x 2
  7. Petefin

Petefin New Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Glenrothes
    Hi Red Thunder,
    Very interesting! Never considered that it might be a "Triumph" fault, anyone else had this problem?

Pete

8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Had the same problem look here some good advice, I haven't followed it as yet but biglads seems to be the one to try.

9. Petefin

Petefin New Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Glenrothes
    Thanks Crispey, from that thread this was from the Biglad;

Yes Steve but imo what you are experiencing is the early symptoms of stator/IAC valve stickiness.

Looks like I might have thrown a perfectly good battery away :cold_sweat:
    But better that as I can now tell the dealer I bought the bike from (got the battery 350 miles away from him while on a tour) that it's definitely not the battery but possibly the part mentioned above.
    So if my three month warranty ends with the problem still existing, he should replace it as long as I highlight this within the thee months.
    Anyone else had a problem with the stator/IAC valve & what does it do?

Cheers,
    Pete

10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Try lubing it

11. Petefin

Petefin New Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Glenrothes
    Hi Crisper,
    I would do of I knew what it looks like or where to find it. But as it's still under the warranty I got when I bought it, I'll leave that to the dealer.

Cheers,
    Pete

12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Could it be computer needs to reboot?

13. Petefin

Petefin New Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Glenrothes
    Spoke to my local Triumph dealer on my "problem"!
    They told me that after a stall, the computer, etc. Has to cycle through its start functions.
    If I hit the starter too quickly, it will not start.
    I must confess that the times I have stalled it, it has been in heavy, slow moving traffic and I very quickly hit the start button within a couple of seconds of stalling, in a bit of a panic!
    Every other time I have tried to start it, hot or cold and not rushed, there has been no problem.
    Looks like it has been my fault all along?

Love to hear your comments (no abuse please although I probably deserve it!) so I can put this to bed.

Cheers,
    Pete

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    The natural reaction if you stall in traffic is to get going again as quickly as possible.
    I think a little bit of private practice on the drive is in order just in case of.
    I am glad you have got some sort of answer Pete, thanks for the feedback.

15. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Yep I've had it on my 15 speed and 16 speed s

16. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    It's normal, most modern machinery has the ecu programmed to not allow cranking/starting for a few seconds after engine stops/stalls, to prevent possible starter motor or engine damage. This allows everything to come to a stop before restart. ITT can even stop starter engaging during attempted push/bump starting.

Cheers capt.

• Useful Useful x 1