High Frequency Vibration Over 4500rpm

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by froman, Apr 1, 2019.

1. froman

froman New Member

Apr 1, 2019
    chile
    Hi folks, I have a triumph tiger sport 1050 2018. I love the bike but it has an issue that is driving me crazy.

the bike is almost new, It has only 7500miles (12.000km) [ it always had the same vibration. ]

from 4500rpm it start to have a high frecuency vibration that's amplified on the handlebar (I can't feel the vibraton on the chasis, it's just on the handlebar) , it's stronger on the right side, and the mirrors become almost unusable at certain point (very dangerous), this is not a great problem on a short trip, but more than 40 minutes riding it it's exausting, it's not a heavy numb, its like a tingle, but its very anoying and it remains for hours in my hands.

I checked my wheels balance, the chain tension, tune the suspension, the stock exhaust, an sc project exhaust, with or without sw-motech fender, changed the air filter, etc. etc. (the stock bike has the same vibrations), besides, the vibration is there without moving the motorcycle, just accelerating in neutral at 4.500rpm or more, but because it's a high frecuency vibration it doesn't feel bad right away.

I went to the dealer and it was a wast of time, worst service ever. (triumph dealer in chile it's a joke, they don't even have the basic spare parts, like oil and air filters, not mention the customer aftersale service, they just said never heard of a vibration on a triumph motorcycle and did nothing at all.)

I installed a ROX anti vibration handlebar riser (it helped, but it's not enough)

it's like driving a huge vibrator, I tried to saw if the vibration goes away at higher rpm, but everytime I reached 8500rpm I had an orgasm and had to stop 15 minutes to smoke a cigarrete.

Im about to buy a pair of grip puppies and put a heavier bar-end weights, but I'm feeling I'm hidding the real problem.

any idea is welcome.
    thank you very much.

PS: sorry about my english, is not my language

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Hola
    Your English is very good, my Spanish is non-existent.
    Have you tried lowering your tyre pressure by 2 or 3 psi. This is safe to do and you will notice a difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. froman

froman New Member

Apr 1, 2019
    chile
    hi sprinter! yes i did it, the roads here are not so good, so we usually use lower pressure than the manufacturer recommends. I'm using 33psi at front and 36psi in the rear tyre. (about 2.25bar and 2.5bar)
    it improved the hard vibration from the ground to the handlebar, also I set up the rebound to be a little bit fast, that way the suspension is not suffering from "packing".
    but I'm pretty sure this high frecuency vibration comes from the engine (but you know, this kind of things are transmitted from anywhere to all the motorcycle and is pretty hard to find out the exact source, it's just my guess)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Heavier bar end weights?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I would loosen and re-torque all the engine mounting bolts to specification. Vibrating at standstill is a powerful clue it is not related to the wheels or suspension.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. froman

froman New Member

Apr 1, 2019
    chile
    that sounds good.

do you know where I can find the correct torque for this model?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You may need a workshop manual as the order in which you tighten is as important as the Newton metre value for each bolt.
    Haynes online? https://haynes.com/en-gb/search?query=Tiger Sport
    The newer bike has the same chassis....?
    Otherwise your dealer can supply a genuine Triumph manual.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #8 Callumity, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. froman

froman New Member

Apr 1, 2019
    chile
    yes, a sw-motech engine bars, but the vibration is the same without them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. froman

froman New Member

Apr 1, 2019
    chile
    I removed the handlebar and the rox handlebar riser, removed the engine bars.
    I installed the engine bars again and re-tighten them using a torque wrench as closer as the workshop manual says.
    I reinstalled the rox anti vibe riser (this time whith the anti vibre a little bit softer), and changed the angle to match the original handlebar setup, I tightened all acording to the manual. But it remains the same vibration. I can't feel it on the gas tank but in the engine itself , and is transmited to the handlebar trought the chassis.
    I took a video with the bike stand still and accelerating between idle and 7000rpm, it doesn' t seem too much on the video, but remember it's a high frecuency vibration. I'll take another video at night, the lights in the mirror will help to show the vibrations.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I believe you need to tighten them in a certain sequence as in last post. Seen this problem before somewhere

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Froman
    Yes need to torque the bolts. And like someone said play with the bar end weights. I find on the old Bonnies when I dismantle bits I put them back with some silicon sealant helps vibes. Also try a rubber washer under the bars and headlamp bolts. Hope you get it sorted. And welcome to The Family.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  14. froman

froman New Member

Apr 1, 2019
    chile
    guys thank you very much!
    someone has the procedure/sequence to tighten the engine bars? (I can't find it)
    and I'll go to my favorite lathe shop to make differents bar end weights and test how much I need.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I suggest you sign on the Tiger site and ask them. Some of them have the Triumph manuals and have seen the same problem .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Don't these engines have balancing shafts? if so could it be a problem with the timing of this....has the engine ever been apart?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Colinaman

Colinaman New Member

Dec 17, 2021
    Santiago, Chile
    Hola! Tengo la misma moto, el mismo problema.... tampoco me dieron pelota en Triumph...
    Intentaré todo lo que sugieren, pero apretar todos los pernos?? En serio??
    Di no mejora creo que la voy a teber que vender

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Que?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Interesting. I have noticed this on my tiger 1050 but not really found it to be an issue. The funny thing is that it is not always apparent. So I think I will monitor it to see if there are any particular things that occur when it does happen. Watch this space :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hola! Tengo la misma moto, el mismo problema.... tampoco me dieron pelota en Triumph...
    Intentaré todo lo que sugieren, pero apretar todos los pernos?? En serio??
    Di no mejora creo que la voy a teber que vender
    Hello! I have the same bike, the same problem ... they didn't give me a ball at Triumph either ...
    I will try everything they suggest, but tighten all the bolts ?? Really??
    Say no improvement I think I'm going to have to sell it ;)