Hi All

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Bucky, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Bucky

Bucky Senior Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Hello there folks, just found the forum, and look forward to many a wee banter on here.
    I have been a biker all my life starting off in the 70s with an RD250 then progressing to a Kawasaki z1000j when I was 21 year old. Then things moved on dramatically and I became a sports bike rider, Fireblades, R1s etc. My last bike was an 05 Blade which I sold 2 years ago to fund a new pastime for my family and I. I am now looking at getting back in the saddle and came across a Triumph America for sale locally. This was a bike I didn't even know that Triumph produced ( i no longer buy mcn or any other mags), but went into a local dealers to have a look at the stock and this was sitting there, caught my eye and and I then realised this bike would suit me to a tee (would never have thought that during my sportsbike days). I have researched the net and all reviews seem positive, any of you guys give me some more brownie points on it, cheers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi and welcome to the forum, one or two America owners on here.

Must be great to be getting back on two wheels after two years off.

3. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    lol not as good as getting back after over 20 yrs off tho.
    Welcome and good luck with the America, they seem quite popular these days

4. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #4 folkbloke, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    Welcome to the forum :smile:

I also started riding in the 70s and have been through maybe 25 bikes since then. I had 11 years with a GS before switching to a Tiger and then last year bought an America. Chalk and cheese but I really like the America.

A fantastic and very underrated bike.

I've since done 11k miles in 11 months including a 2500 mile trip to Switzerland and France last month. Fast enough for me these days, handles really well for a cruiser and is very easy to ride. Range is excellent with over 200 miles to a tank and I get a lot of favourable comments about the looks (not that that's important!). I love the riding position although I've had issues with the seat which some folks find OK. I've put a Norman Hyde seat on which is a big improvement for most journeys although I also use an Airhawk for the long haul stuff.

I'd suggest footboards and a small screen if you're intending any serious touring.

Good choice. Feel free to message me if you want any advice or help.

Cheers

Dick

p.s. I'd also recommend taking a Bikesafe course. Run by the Police and a very good, and relatively cheap, way to brush up on your skills. I've done 4 now and think they're well worth the money.

5. Bucky

Bucky Senior Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Cheers for the warm welcome folks, not looking to do any serious touring, will just be for leisure blasts around my local area, and the Sunday trips with mrs on board. I've done the sportsbike to death, and was one of the loonie's, one year i had to change my rear tyre after 840 miles. Now i am looking at a laid back approach to biking, have always had a wee notion of the cruiser types but didn't fancy any of the low rider Vtwins, when I saw the America I just knew that was my bike. How's the realability of them ?

6. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    In 11k miles I've not had any problems. The engine seems bullet proof and I'm liking the bike the more I ride it :smile:

Like you I was a bit of tear-arse when I was younger and the America really suits the way I want to ride now.

Good luck with it :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  7. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    I like the look of the America but and it is a big but, for me they are the worst bike on the road.

Engine runs as though it fires every other lamppost, it fires at 270 degrees whereas a straight Bonnies fires at 360 and is a much smoother and responsive engine. The feet forward puts a lot of pressure on my lower back and when I rode the last America a month ago I could not get off the bike as I was in so much pain. I bought a Bonnie the next week.

Whilst I do not like the bike it may suit you, just please do take one out for at least two hours over a full mix of road and traffic.

Also check out the Scrambler it has the same engine configuration as the America but is great fun to ride, 5 runs around the same roundabout fun. A Bonnie is alway great. Also try one of the Street or Speed tripples.

Good luck and keep us advised on your choice

I would concur about going on a Bikesafe course but also the IAM advanced rider training programmes are great, I Observe for my local group and they offer great training

8. Bucky

Bucky Senior Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Worst bike on the road ?, wow, some statement. If you read my intro you would have seen I came from a background of sportsbikes ( crotch rockets ), I have toured the highlands on these bikes and just adapt to suit, take some breaks more frequently and it's all manageable. I would imagine something like the America would mean less stopping times.
    I don't think you have ever experienced the sports bike hunch, something you get used to through time, if you were in so much pain and couldn't get off your bike I think you need to assess what you can and can't do. I could sit on a Honda c70 all day and only stop for fuel.

9. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #9 folkbloke, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    Col has serious issues with the America, I have no idea why but I think it's a brilliant bike (and that's after 40 years of riding all sorts of motorcycles) so don't be put off with his opinions, make up your own mind.

10. Bucky

Bucky Senior Member

Jul 26, 2014
    No worries buddy, I accept the fact we all have our own opinions, but his comments are dross.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Hi Bucky and welcome to the forum :upyeah:

Not really a cruiser person but we do seem to have some good feedback from owners about the bike here.

It's always good that we all have our own preferences in bikes thankfully as if not we would all be riding CX 500 Honda's :eek:

Cheers

Steve J

• Like Like x 1
  12. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    Bucky

Doss, you inconsiderate sod.

I gave you my honest experiences, the last thing I wanted was for the America lovers to expound that the bike is great and for you to get one only later to find that it not the bike for you, hence a long test run.

By the way I had a sports bike for two years before the ST and so was used to the hump

Good luck

13. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    Welcome to the forum :upyeah:

14. Bucky

Bucky Senior Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Hi all, been a wee while, but i am now officially in the America club. Bought it tonight from dealers in Staffs, take delivery next Thursday, looking forward to a completely different way of motorcycling. Gone are the days of Sunday scratches around Scotlands finest, now for some chill time, cheers all.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    I'm sure you will really will enjoy your new bike and hopefully the weather stays good for a few more weeks. :upyeah:

16. Conquest Racing Ltd

Conquest Racing Ltd Contact us for your Triumph Forum discount
    Trader

Feb 2, 2013
    Dorset
    Welcome, thanks for joining :upyeah: