Hello from Wigan

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by ren, Jul 13, 2013.

1. ren

ren Member

Jul 10, 2013
    wigan
    Hello,
    I recently passed my bike test and although ive been riding a Honda shadow 125 for 2 years, I was persuaded to buy a different style of bike. How glad I am that I listened, as im now the proud owner of a 2005 triumph speed four. I'm really made up with this bike, BUT when I came back from a short ride out today, I noticed some fuid leaking out from underneath my bike. There's a tube hanging down which connects to the coolant reservoir under the seat. The engine was very hot as was the radiator. The radiator fan never kicked in either. When I turned the key on again the temp said 288c. I don't know a great deal about bikes and was wondering if anyone knew what this problem is and how to fix this.
    Thank you all. :upyeah:

2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi Welcome to the forum. Does sound an overheating problem, the fluid leaking is probably coolant. When the fluid gets too hot or boils it expands and will have overflowed from the expansion tank under the seat.
    The fan should kick in when the engine temp gets up about 3/4 up the safe operating range, if its not there may be several reasons:
    The fan may be jammed by a stone or debris, check it freely rotates by hand. If it turns freely, it may be the relay or fuse that powers it, check the fuse has not blown.
    If all else fails take the bike either to a dealer or get the fan, relay and fuse checked out by an auto electrician.
    My advice is do not run the engine when it gets too hot, you will damage it. Most bikes will get enough cooling air when doing 30mph or more not under high load to not need the fan but its when stuck in slow traffic, climbing steep slow roads the fan or fans are required.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    Welcome to the forum ,hope you get the bike sorted :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. ren

ren Member

Jul 10, 2013
    wigan
    Thanks for your advice, I've checked the fuse for the fan and its ok, ill have to get it checked out properly.

5. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Welcome Ren - best of luck with the problem.
    bb

• Like Like x 1
  7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Welcome to the forum Ren. Good luck sorting your issue..
    You can download a program called Tune ECU which can check or faults and test the fan.. It also enables you to alter the temp the fan kicks in...
    My thoughts on your issue... On cars I've had the waterpump fins corrode away so there was no circulation & no cooling.. Also sticky thermostat, it does not open causing bike to over heat as no circulating water... Just 2 possibilities...

Would take it easy though and not use it too much as you may damage your engine.. You sure it was 288 degC? Engine would have melted....or at least plastic....

8. ren

ren Member

Jul 10, 2013
    wigan
    Thanks Screwball, I think i was mistaken with 288c, the actual temp that the fan kicks in is around 107c, but then stops about 104c, i would personally like the fan to kick in at 100c as the manual for tt600 states. im interested by that download you mentioned, how would that work from my laptop to my bike? Sorry if this is a daft question. Ive been speaking to a few bike people and they told me not to worry about 107c as long as the fan kicks in.:upyeah:

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    There is a post re Tune ECU on here somewhere.
    Just google Tuneecu and it's all there..you can buy the cable from eBay just plugs in your usb port on laptop..
    Read instructions and jobs done... Reset fan to come in lower and take bike for a ride...

My speed seems to run hot as well do maybe it's a triumph thing... Or just the thermostat they use..

• Like Like x 1
  10. Conquest Racing Ltd

Conquest Racing Ltd Contact us for your Triumph Forum discount
    Trader

Feb 2, 2013
    Dorset
    Welcome to the forum

• Like Like x 1