Hello From Florida

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by fljab, Jun 13, 2020.

1. fljab

fljab Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Mims, Florida, USA
    New member here from Central Florida near Kennedy Space Center. I worked there for many yrs but am now retired.

I have been riding motorcycles for many yrs and had a new '78 T140 and a hand me down '67 Mountain Cub; both bikes long gone. I have just purchased - but not yet in my garage - a new to me, slightly used 5800 mile 2019 Triumph Tiger 800 XCa. I'm looking forward to trips out west, doing some back roads, exploring ghost towns, and whatever other mischief I can get into that doesn't interfere with my afternoon nap.

This completes my garage stable of a HD Street Glide, Yamaha FJR, and old Honda SOHC 750 cafe project. As you can see, I don't discriminate, I pretty much love them all when it comes to 2 wheels.

I also know that the library of knowledge on any bike is in the forums. I have no plans to alter this from stock configuration as far as the engine/trans/exhaust goes, unless there's some nagging factory issue that's common and repaired/modified by a common fix. I will be doing some LD specific add ons that I'll get into later in the forums.

I know to search first before posting because it's probably been done before. I'm on my 2nd FJR, and have learned a huge amount of information from the FJR Forum, so expect the same here. Thanks for having me, see you around.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Fljab.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like Like x 1
  3. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Hi and welcome

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Welcome to the forum Fljab

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy Fljab, and welcome in :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Fljab
    Welcome to the family. Don't forget when you get the steed the inmates here in the asylum will need a picture. So just hit the upload a file button bottom right corner and quieten them all down. Well when you stop playing and grinning anyway.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. fljab

fljab Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Mims, Florida, USA
    Thanks, I will try and get out to the garage and get some pics. I bought the Tiger from a friend that's a salesman at Hermy's BMW/Triumph in Port Clinton, PA. If I can figure out how to upload the bike pic from their website, will do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. fljab

fljab Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Mims, Florida, USA
    Here it is if I did the copy from Hermy's correct. Edit: It worked! This is the actual bike. XCa is top of the line and this is last of the 800s. I did some research and see that Triumph improved the 800 for the last 2 yrs. I'm excited and got a decent deal on this bike. It'll be a month or so before I drag it home.

Screenshot_2020-06-13 Hermy's Inventory Located near Allentown and Harrisburg.png

• Like Like x 11
  10. fljab

fljab Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Mims, Florida, USA
    #10 fljab, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Now flush with success, let me see if I can upload some or all of the rest of the stable. I do not think I have a pic of the new FJR I got last yr, a leftover '18 A model that I got greatly reduced. I do have plenty of my '09 that I put 121K miles on including a trip to Alaska some yrs back.

This is my old FJR; I put 121K miles on it and sold it to a friend (cheap!) and he's put another 30K or so on it. It is actually in my shop again to remove some of the farkles and I need to strip and redo the light setup. I'll go out and get a pic of the new bike here sometime and post. The new one has no add-on gizmos just yet, but it's in the queue, altho it will not get to the extremes this bike got.
    FJR trip Rachel grad 090.jpg

This is my '17 HD Street Glide. It's great for local riding and I've also been out to Sturgis, up to Michigan, and over to the Adirondacks and Vermont with it. It's pretty much stock, but these are loaded and it doesn' t need much except a better seat.
    IMG_20170803_133501127.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  11. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Fljab,
    Welcome from Iowa, with hogs a plenty. Wishing you pleasant journeys on the new machine. If you are "Ioway" stop out for a chat, the door is open and the light is left on for the weary traveler.

IMG_5257.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  12. fljab

fljab Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Mims, Florida, USA

Hello, and thank you. I had to look up where Clinton was. I usually go out west via Atlanta, Nashville, then up through Ill (to avoid St. Louis) then up through the Quad cities to get on 80. I have been up through Clinton before when I was headed to Wisconsin from I forget where, but do remember going through there. Nice riding up there abouts. No telling what I'll show up on, but do plan on pressing the new Triumph into LD service when I get back to it. I love the midwest; great people and small towns that are the essence of Americana. I dig that stuff!

20+ yrs ago I was roaming around that area and others and was staying exclusively on 2 lane roads. I'd stop when it was getting near the end of the day, find a room in usually a mom/pop motel and ask the best local place to eat, and where do all the bikes hang out? I've got some great memories of the places and people I met on that run.

• Like Like x 5
  13. fljab

fljab Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Mims, Florida, USA
    Oh, and I almost forgot, this is my friend the salesman:

IMG_20170318_134427066.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  14. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Welcome from sunny California.

upload_2020-6-13_8-2-6.png

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. fljab

fljab Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Mims, Florida, USA
    Hello, thank you. I lived in San Diego area during much of the 80s, and was stationed up in Vallejo mid '76 to late '78. I go back from time to time as my brother still lives in El Cajon and cousin in Escondido. Not to mention old friends scattered about in mostly So Cal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Welcome in to the madhouse

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. fljab

fljab Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Mims, Florida, USA
    I've wanted to ride in the UK and EU for some time. I did a rental bike out of Frankfurt way back in '94 or so. Have been to UK a number of times and would like to just poke around on the backroads and smaller towns. Always a good time doing that. Maybe rent a Triumph somewhere? As long as I can figure out how to ride them roundabouts backwards, should do OK! Wifey & I went to Normandy some yrs ago and then took the ferry from Ouistreham to Portsmouth and saw several pretty good groups of bikes from UK coming and going.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Welcome from a fellow newbie

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018