Heated Grip Switch Rubber Cover Loss.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Ian Massey, Jul 15, 2023.

1. Ian Massey

Ian Massey Teddy4755
    Subscriber

Nov 2, 2022
    Plymouth
    I recently lost the rubber switch that controls the heated grips on my 21 plate Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro. The local dealership in Plymouth informed me that the switch cover is not a part that can be ordered. A left hand heated grip would cost £153 plus 1 x Hr of labour, I was quoted a ballpark figure of £235 to make good.
    The switch still works, so I’ve kicked that particular job down the road for now. Has anyone else suffered a similar loss?

IMG_2983.jpeg

2. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Never had an issue with any of my factory heated grips, surely the grip is covered by warranty on a 21 plate machine, I would request politely but firmly that you expect this to be covered under warranty, if the dealer refuses then enter into a dispute with Triumph direct, you have nothing to lose. Good luck with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ian Massey

Ian Massey Teddy4755
    Subscriber

Nov 2, 2022
    Plymouth
    The 2 year Factory Warranty expired in March 23 & was therefore ruled out by Triumph Plymouth. I’m exploring possible fixes using silicon grommet inserts. I’ll post my results if successful.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Good luck with the repair, keep the forum posted on your progress, it may help others who have the same issue in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I was going to say, a variety of grommets and a blob of silicone sealer to glue it in should resolve and make a tidy job.

I hate it when companies rip you off by not offering penny items to make good when all that matters is their profit margins.

I recently managed to damage a quick release fuel connector. Triumph wanted £77 as they would only sell it as a fuel line complete.
    I bought x3 similar connectors off you know where and already had the necessary crimp O clip.
    Total cost £12 and I now have x2 spares.

• Like Like x 2
  6. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Might be worth writing to Triumph anyway. You would expect the item to last several years in normal use etc. They may make a contribution. It's not unknown for people to get recompense through the courts in situations where warranties have expired but the "expected lifespan" of the goods exceeds the warranty length.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ian Massey

Ian Massey Teddy4755
    Subscriber

Nov 2, 2022
    Plymouth
    Thank you for all the comments. This is my1st fix to keep the weather out. I shall continue to look at a smaller more permanent solution in the mean time. On a positive note, the switch operates perfectly with my makedo grommet.

IMG_2989.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    #8 RevPaul, Jul 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
    It might be worth a quick trawl through eBay for a second hand heated grip. Check Fowler's or World of Triumph's parts finder web pages for Part Numbers and images. I suspect the grips are universal across Triumph's bikes, other than for the handlebar diameter and cable length (your grip looks identical to mine but I suspect the bar diameter is different.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    @Ian Massey Me again, sometimes a question just keeps niggling and I have to look things up.

It bothered me that you were told you had to buy the whole left hand grip assembly, because you can get the front cover for all the Bonneville range and the Tiger models up to the 2019 Tiger 1200 / 800 bikes. They were also pretty much the same design

So it might be worth trying again for a Triumph part.

If your bike's heated grip design is the same as the above models the cover is in two parts, the back with a hole at the top and the bottom for the two securing screws and the front with the rubber switch cover.

According to the World Of Triumph Parts Pages the same covers are used used across the whole 1200 / 800 Tiger range and for the front switch cover part number is T2043692 and costs £6-89.

I doubt that Triumph would change the heated grips design unnecessarily when moving from the 800 to the 900 range, so if your cover is the same design, it may well be the same part number.

Unfortunately the WOT Parts Pages don't yet show the latest Triumph models like the 900, but I have found that Bill Smiths in Chester were always able to find the part numbers for the most recent bike models when I've been wanting to upgrade parts on my bike.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Ian Massey

Ian Massey Teddy4755
    Subscriber

Nov 2, 2022
    Plymouth
    That’s a brilliant post Paul. Thanks very much for taking the time to dig further than I did. My brother has a Tiger 800, I’ll ask for a comparison pic of his switch. Many thanks indeed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Ian Massey

Ian Massey Teddy4755
    Subscriber

Nov 2, 2022
    Plymouth
    My nephew has a 1200 Tiger, his left hand switch gear looks identical to mine. I’m going to splash £6.89 with World of Triumph by ordering the 1200 part & see how I get on. Thanks again @RevPaul for pointing me in the right direction.

a08599e2-947c-421d-a8b9-ad39b265e8f2.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  12. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    #12 andyc1, Jul 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
    I've had a long list of triumphs, and heated grips on all of them. I can assure you, the rubber button is the same on all of them even if the grips are a different fitment. But I doubt very much you'll be able to get the rubber bit on its own. I hate the way big companies operate like that but sadly thats just the way it is. Hopefully you get lucky and find a salvage or faulty grip cheap. Otherwise I'd just keep working on a home made solution.

edit. Ebay is full of stuff like this!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28152388...qDzKcTpTTe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like Like x 2
  13. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Happy to help and I hope it works. For ~£7 + postage it’s got to be worth a punt.

At the risk of insulting your skills, fitting couldn’t be easier; unscrew the rear two screws, take off the old front switch cover and replace with the new, refit and retighten the screws through the back cover. Just watch out for any lugs and matching holes in the handlebars to hold the grip in the right position.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Even if the part I’ve suggested doesn’t match, you can always try very carefully prying out the rubber switch cover from the new part and just as carefully press it into your faulty part.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ian Massey

Ian Massey Teddy4755
    Subscriber

Nov 2, 2022
    Plymouth
    Brilliant stuff @RevPaul. Your helpful suggestions are what makes The Triumph Forum the successful site it is. Many thanks.

16. Ian Massey

Ian Massey Teddy4755
    Subscriber

Nov 2, 2022
    Plymouth
    Cheers Andy.

17. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I should have read the full thread :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Did you manage to get a new switch cover and did it work?

• Like Like x 1