Hagon Shocks - Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by BritishBonnie, Jan 23, 2024.

1. BritishBonnie

BritishBonnie New Member

Jul 8, 2023
    United Kingdom
    #1 BritishBonnie, Jan 23, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    I would like your opinions please!

I'm considering upgrading my 2021 T120 with Hagon's Custom Classic, or Nitro, rear shocks. I'm looking for a firmer, more 'tied-in' ride, but I have to be honest and say the change is principally aesthetic.

Custom Classic:

T120CL3 1.jpg

Nitro:

T120.jpg

So, would the good folk of the Triumph Forum lean towards the period shrouded Custom Classic, or towards the newer Nitro?

Cheers,
    BritishBonnie

• Like Like x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    British Bonnie.
    Always used Hagon and like both but always Nitro so much easier on the back. Our roads leave something to be desired.
    Joe

3. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    I have Nitros on my T100. Absolutely fantastic kit and easy to tweak preload and compression/rebound. Firmer but SO much better roadholding.

Just say, your second pic is of the 2810 models I think, not the Nitros.

4. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    I would defo go YSS. Nitron quality at Hagon price. Even the basic eco out perform Hagon. Hagon are old girling shocks from the 70's. Things have moved on a tad.

5. Bill MacFarlane

Dec 2, 2023
    Conder
    I have no experience with Hagons but I fitted YSS to my 2009 Speedmaster. Single best thing I have done.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    It depends on your riding style and your budget, as you mention you are fitting them for aesthetic reasons then the Hagon shocks will be ideal, regarding upgrading the rear shocks for enhanced road holding and performance, then something along the quality of K Tech would be more suitable, these can be tailored to your weight, including riding gear, however that would leave the front end lacking the feel and feedback, therefore an upgrade to the front fork internals would be beneficial. This said before you know it you will have invested a considerable amount of money, from what you say in your post I would go with the Hagon upgrade, they look good and offer an enhanced ride compared to the OEM items.

7. Douglas Welch

Douglas Welch New Member

Dec 31, 2023
    Vancouver, Canada
    #7 Douglas Welch, Jan 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
    I have Hagon 2820 shocks on my 2020 T100 and really like them. A nice improvement over the stock springs and not quite as expensive as the Nitros. Might be all you need.

Hagon 2820.jpg

8. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    This getting to be a bit like a which tryes/oil is best thread :laughing:

I think we can all agree that any of these options are WAY better than the standard shocks. My Nitros are set up for my weight and riding style, are plenty adjustable and fully rebuildable. If the YSS are likewise then either will be ideal for the OP.

• Like Like x 1
  9. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Have to say, I’m very happy with my Triumph-supplied (not sure that I’d call them OEM) Fox shocks. I know it was the path of least resistance, but they do the job very well indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. struv

struv Member

Jun 4, 2023
    Teesside
    i fitted hagon 2820 rears and there progressive fork springs to my speed twin 900 and its a massive improvement .the bike feels 10 stone lighter more nimble .and no more bouncy under damped ride when 2 up . the shocks and fork springs took half an hour to fit and cost less than a pair of ohlins / nitron / yss ect

11. Tim Gibbs

Tim Gibbs Active Member

Oct 27, 2023
    Dorset
    I fitted IKON shocks to my Interceptor, a little more expensive than Hagons, but they certainly improved the ride and the look of the bike. Recommended.

IMG_3039.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I have a YSS monoshock on my NS400 and I had twin Hagons on the rear of my Thruxton 900. Both are perfectly adequate in my opinion and don't break the bank.

• Like Like x 1
  13. struv

struv Member

Jun 4, 2023
    Teesside
    i believe the ikon are the old koni dial a ride and supposed to be very good

• Agree Agree x 1