Gravel Chippings !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Richard H, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Gravel chippings are appearing literally everywhere around where I live and I hate the stuff. Local council has now spread the bitumen and tar crap all down our estate; the road was in perfect order before they arrived, non of the house holders wanted it doing and several of us threatened to park our cars in the way to stop them. The council said it was essential maintenance and that they would simply go around our parked cars!
    These are just before
    P1100123.jpg P1100120.jpg

These taken two weeks after, been swept my machine once as well. The surface is already coming off in places where folks turn their car wheels and in the centre of the road there is now a hump where they have overlapped the tar and stone by about 5". Riding our local roads I often find my front wheel affected by this over-banding, frankly I think its dangerous even without considering the skid hazard of the loose chippings
    2014-07-27 11.16.50.jpg 2014-07-27 11.17.19.jpg

P1100123.jpg

P1100120.jpg

2014-07-27 11.16.50.jpg

2014-07-27 11.17.19.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    Thousands of potholes in any given town and they put this dangerous low life rubbish on a perfectly good road, this is a council with the wrong people in the management jobs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    The biggest problem is the council will take the cheapest tender for the job and then the contractors make a half ass job of it instead of it been done properly.
    The whole street should refuse to pay council tax until it is put back to how it was :wink:

4. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Wether it's essential or not it turns a perfectly good road into a hazard.If the council didn't grit when it was icy people would complain but they make it worse them ice for bikers.

If it affected cars as much as it does bikes there would be uproar.

I still fail to understand the Highways Agency's attitude to bikes.

As you can tell it wind's me up a bit :mad:

5. Beiciwr

Beiciwr Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Wales
    I live up a steepish lane, and they gritted it a couple of years ago, leaving a good 1cm of gravel on the surface. Grit, bikes and hills don't mix, so I phoned the council and told them to come and sweep it straight away (rather than in their anticipated 4 days' time) before I had an accident. It got swept later that day. To be honest, here in north Wales the roads aren't bad at all compared to many areas, and if ever I report a pothole (using the 'dangerous for bikes' line) they are dealt with very speedily.

• Like Like x 1