Gps/glonass/beidou/galileo - How Do You Orientate On Your Bike?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Markus, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    #1 Markus, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    I've been using the app "SYGIC" for a year now when touring with my wife on my smartphone.
    This is a fairly inexpensive app that you can, if you catch an offer, upgrade and thus either map material of the entire world, or special features, such as speed camera info, etc., receives.
    I have purchased a lifetime update version with the map material of the entire world for about € 30.
    The interesting thing about the app is that you can use it "offline" only with the GPS/GALILEO/BEIDOU/GALILEO system of the smartphone, so you do not have to pay "expensive" data charges, especially when traveling abroad.
    The map material is updated up to 3 times per year.
    Currently, I have downloaded the maps of all of Europe to my smartphone, which means a total of about 25 GB of storage space.
    The app works identically to "Google Maps" when planning routes und using it.
    I noticed an interesting feature after one of the last updates. Apart from the standard information such as route information, speed, maximum permitted speed, etc., for bends you are also shown a speed recommendation in km/h and additionally the bend radii with "safety arrows" on the outside of the bend. So far we are extremely satisfied with this app!

How do you do it?

Screenshot_20210902-071927_Sygic.jpg

Screenshot_20210902-071758_Sygic.jpg

Screenshot_20210902-072130_Google Play Store.jpg

Screenshot_20210902-072148_Google Play Store.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I managed to get a tomtom 450 and active mount for £50 second hand and it’s been brilliant.
    Should I connect it to the phone via Bluetooth and it is then “live” with traffic data and speed cameras etc.
    It’s also very easy to plan routes (I find it way easier than phone based apps) as it’s really easy to see etc.
    It’s also easy to put ride magazine (and others) gpx files (routes) on it to give them a go.

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I mostly use apple maps or google on my iphone. Like the Austrian wording @Markus as it gets me exited to know I’ve got to my destination.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Biff

Biff Active Member

Jul 17, 2021
    Buckinghamshire
    I'm using Apple Maps, although I'm trying out Waze which seems quite good. Both, though, require an internet connection.

I did use Syngic for a while on an Android phone: it had problems connecting with the GPS. The phone could connect, but Syngic didn't seem to want to know. I may have another look at it now I have an iPhone, but there are other navigators available.

Biff

• Like Like x 1
  5. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    I am using it with ANDROID based smartphones. With them it works perfect. I have no experiences with IOS based smartphones when using Sygic.

6. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2020
    UK
    I use the free version of the "mapfactor navigator" app on android. I've been using it for years. It has offline maps as I don't have a phone plan, just pay as you go. So far a tenner has lasted me a couple of years on the pay as you go, so I'm not a big phone user. Recently I upgraded my mobile phone (can't remember why except it was a cheap bargain!), so I now use the old phone (normally without a sim card) as my satnav. Works ok for me although I don't get traffic updates. It doesn't have the twisty road options which I wouldn't mind though, it can avoid M'ways etc though. I've only used it in the UK and mainland Europe and it works fine there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I use a Tomtom 550 in combination with a Freecom2+ bluetooth for spoken instructions. like @Ducatitotriumph said it's really easy to plan routes and send 3rd party routes to it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I sniff the air. If I can smell steak or/and beer, that's the way to go. I can also smell fried chicken. Free updates come along at random intervals.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    If you could bottle that Andy you could make a fortune :):)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1