Good Lowest Rpmm To Ride?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Florian320, Feb 7, 2024.

1. Florian320

Florian320 Active Member
    Subscriber

Dec 14, 2023
    Wiesbaden, Germany
    Hello folks,

It might be a bit of a dull question but I am asking it anyhow: what is the lowest reasonable RPM you'd ride your T120 in straight cruise?
    I am aware that the cruise control only works from 3000 RPM on which might be a hint but I am still a bit curious.
    My approach is that with lower RPM you consume less fuel and probably - if it is not too low, that's why I'm asking - you also somehow act gentle on the engine.
    I don't have my Bonnie yet, therefore I can't check it out: I am aware that below a certain RPM the engine doesn't sound happy anymore - that definitely will be a minimum RPM for me.

What do you think?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 First Class Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    I’m sorry but I’ve no idea what is the lowest. I tend to set my cruise con at the fastest I think I can go without police or camera intervention.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Florian320

Florian320 Active Member
    Subscriber

Dec 14, 2023
    Wiesbaden, Germany
    Thanks for the replies! I am actually aware of the Fortnine Video.
    That is exactly why I am asking my question: high is relative. If we look at the Bonnie's RPM-gage we'll see that the red area begins where other motorcycles barely start to even get torque.
    So maybe I should ask in a different way: where would you place 'high' RPM in terms of what Fortnine said?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I go by throttle position more than revs per gear. If you only need a touch of throttle to maintain speed, then it is about right.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    When you get your bike and start riding it you will soon feel where the bike is happiest. There is no point in thrashing it and no point in letting it labour. There is a sweet spot somewhere in between.

Personally on my T100 I found that the sweet spot was somewhere around 3 - 5,000 revs and rarely did I find the need to exceed 6,000 rpm.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    An engine is at it's most efficient at the point of maximum torque and this is where it will feel most responsive and "happiest". My Street Scrambler gives max torque at 3200rpm and max power at 7500 but once it gets past 5500 it loses the relaxed feel and character it has a lower rpm and one of the main reasons I bought it. My ZZR has over 3 times the power and almost twice the torque, both developed past the redline of the SS. Completely different bike, completely different comfort zone. Mind you, it has so much torque anyway it doesn't matter that much what gear you're in or rev point your at so it's far more tolerant of lazy riding and poor gear choice!:joy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #8 learningtofly, Feb 8, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
    Obviously horses for courses. However, my T120 has a sweet spot between 3500 and 4000 rpm. That’s where I tend to lurk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Florian320

Florian320 Active Member
    Subscriber

Dec 14, 2023
    Wiesbaden, Germany
    Thanks for you replies!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @Florian320:
    I did the same like @learningtofly with my T120. I always used the maximum torque at about 3.500 Rpm. Riding under this conditions leeds to a low fuel consumption too. Naturally you can get a real "kick" riding the T120 from 3.500 to 4.500. More is/was in my experience not necessary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Florian320

Florian320 Active Member
    Subscriber

Dec 14, 2023
    Wiesbaden, Germany
    Thanks, Markus.
    Max torque = minimum fuel consumption sounds old school - have been learning this a long time ago.
    I was just curious how it works in real life as with increasing speed the wind resistance goes up.
    But probably around max torque will be a good idea for the engine to feel well - always taking into account wether I just float along with only very little power or need to use lots of torque due to the outer circumstances.

I think as long as you don't need a lot of thrust to just maintain your speed it should be all right. Or rather the other way around: if you need close to full throttle to maintain your speed then you should shift gears.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @Florian320:
    You will explore/learn that your T120 can get a real "beast". It is comparable to "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde". ;)
    Below 3.500 Rpm everything is smooth and fine. BUT: Keep the throttle turning above this level and you will be surprised. Naturally all other road users too! No one believes the "beast factor" of a T120. I loved it and had many funny experiences on the road with mine in the past.;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Florian320

Florian320 Active Member
    Subscriber

Dec 14, 2023
    Wiesbaden, Germany
    That sounds great, thanks! No waiting for it is even harder

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Axel Schubert

Axel Schubert New Member

Aug 18, 2024
    Chile
    Hi! I’m the owner of a Thruxton 2017. Does anyone knows why it may have a variable rpm while driving? It’s like if has a minimum loose of power for half a second. It happens cold/hot. And at any range of rpm.
    Thanks a lot!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    @Axel Schubert Welcome to the family. But you will get a much better response if you start your own topic not hijacking someone else's

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    When i had my T120 i increased the front sprocket by one tooth. It cruised with ease and the engine was so much smoother.

17. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Has the bike been serviced regularly, what's the mileage ?
    Is it standard or do you have a different exhaust system etc, if so has it been remapped?
    The more you tell , the easier it is to help.

• Agree Agree x 1