Gas Tank Leak/seepage

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by GordC, Sep 7, 2021.

1. GordC

GordC New Member

Aug 8, 2021
    Ottawa Ontario Canada
    On my 2014 Thunderbird Storm I have gas seepage coming from where the seat bracket is mounted under the tank. Approx $1,600 (Canadian) for a new tank so looking for other options. There is a place in town that does motorcycle tank "reseals" for about $250. I have been reading articles on this subject but I'm curious if anyone has any first hand knowledge/experience with gas tank leaks/seepage and getting a reseal done? Thanks

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes if welded right no problem. You can also get pep sealer and other sealers to line the inside of the tank. Even ethanol resistant sealers one spring to mind is the Slosh sealer.
    Joe.

3. GordC

GordC New Member

Aug 8, 2021
    Ottawa Ontario Canada
    Thanks Joe. My main concern is the possibility of engine problems due to the process of adding whatever it is to the tank to seal it. However, the business I'm thinking of taking it to for the work told me they do 2-3 motorcycle tanks each month so I have to assume their process is safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The bike is fuel injected ! I'd look at the seal around the fuel pump !! If it's a tad loose or it could have perished (alcohol?) A simple loosen and re tighten of the mounting screws could be all that's needed....

• Like Like x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    GordC
    No i believe the Slosh was designed specifically for older classic bikes to help them use the ethanol fuels. And if you follow the instruction you should be fine. But as Capt says it could be as simple as a gasket gone or loose connection of the pump itself. Do let us all know how you get on. And you know the old fuel leakage can fool the best of us into believing it is coming from area's were it really isn't
    Joe

6. GordC

GordC New Member

Aug 8, 2021
    Ottawa Ontario Canada
    Thanks again folks for the input. I'm pretty sure the fuel is seeping from the bracket that the seat connects to. There are fuel stains and dampness all around the bracket and no stain or dampness between the bracket and the fuel hose connects to.

IMG_20210906_120603095.jpg

IMG_20210906_115545890.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    GordC
    Yes certainly looks that way. But any good welder would soon weld or braze that or MiG the bracket all around the edges not heard of them leaking before but it obviously happens and you have the proof. Shame we were not neighbours i could have got my boy to MiG it for you.
    Joe.

8. GordC

GordC New Member

Aug 8, 2021
    Ottawa Ontario Canada
    Thanks again Joe. I will be taking the tank to a shop next week where they

• Like Like x 1
  9. GordC

GordC New Member

Aug 8, 2021
    Ottawa Ontario Canada
    Thanks again Joe. I will be taking the tank to a shop next week where they work on issues like this. The main purpose of my original post was to see if anyone had any first hand experience with resealing process. It would just give me a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing from someone with first hand experience that it is a common process and turns out OK. I am obviously going to give it a try because the alternative will be to buy a new tank which will be very costly.
    Gord

• Like Like x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Lots of luck mate. I have sealed several T140 tanks. But there is a bit more to your tank than the T140. So i think you are on the right track by welding.
    Joe.