Tiger Explorer Explorer Review - Our Two cents...

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Hedgehog, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer - Big Bike Mad

Review from us loons at Bigbikemad.com.

Comments welcome. Happy to revise the review if anyone has something to contribute. It's all about sharing the information....:upyeah:

Cheers

HH

2. KLINK

KLINK Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Brize Norton

Why do riders buy these over the BMW's? Just asking. I'm not keen on the BM's anyway.

3. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    And why not. I prefer the spec on the Explorer. Price is right for me. Great build quality. Not keen on BMW either.:upyeah:

4. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    Beamer engines and grearboxes are primevil comprared to the TEX

The TEX handles better

• Like Like x 1
  5. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    I test rode an early Explorer which I quite liked, certainly a better bike in my opinion than the old GS.
    I recently took out the latest Bavarian GS or WC (water cooled) model and its quite some machine and very impressive. Without taking out the latest Explorer it would be difficult for me to say which is best and as Col says the BMW gearbox is still crap and clunky compared to the Triumph.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    I've had about six hours on the Explorer XC. I'm going to get another three tomorrow afternoon. I'm mightily impressed and I'm getting one in the new year.:upyeah:

7. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    Two and a half years ownership and use in all conditions is a pretty exhaustive test period.

It has done all I want, its comfy, handles very well, even better than the Sprint which could be a bit skittish when pushed on poor road surfaces, the TEX soaks up the imperfections.

With the high screen fitted protection is excellent and noise is way less than with the low standard screen.

Road view is great being so high but that can be a problem getting on and off, I am five ten and with the seat set low both feet are flat when stationary.

Lights are great at night which also mean that you are better visibly during the day.

Luggage capacity is great with the three boxes fitted, a downside is that there is minimal underseat capacity.

Instrumentation is more than adequate but accessory switches are well, they look like it with no thought into integrating a set of switches into a neat panel and the heated seat switch position is between frame struts and a dangerous fiddle to find on the move.

Another downside is the cruise control, which is on the right side and fiddly to operate, Triumph should follow the Beamer route and replicate their method of operation.

But the best, is the 1200 tripple, glorious power and the flat torque curve gives instant lift and move at any rev and in any gear, the gearbox is harmonious with the engine and my bike does not suffer the where the hell is neutral characteristic that so many Triumphs I have ridden suffer from.

Fun factor is off the scale after a ride

Reliability has been ace with not a single fault developing in the two and a half years of ownership, a recall for an ecu issue was promptly fixed.

Servicing has been reasonable and the quality from Triumph WY in Shipley has been outstanding.

Now for thefinal question, would I buy another, Yes no doubt about it.

Test ride one back to back with its direct competition and you will love it. Enough has been said about the GS but another competitor is the Honda Crosstourer, whose engine is the only plus point everything else is dire

• Like Like x 1
  8. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Great review :upyeah: Looks like your making a good move PJT

9. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    I'm sure I am.

10. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Active Member

Jan 15, 2014

Hi,

Do you mind if we update our review with some of your comments? We always like to get as much real-world feedback into our stuff as possible.

There's a T-Shirt in it for you if you ant one! Happy to mention the forum again too.

Thanks

Hedgehog

Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer - Big Bike Mad

11. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    By all means use my review as you wish.

12. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Many thanks. Will confirm when done.

HH

13. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    My mate lent me his Explorer XC today. I had a full seven hours of fun both on and off road in the Derbyshire Dales. Absolutely fabulous.

I taking custody of his bike for two weeks whilst he visits the USA. He's doing Route 66 with his partner. I have his permission to use the bike whenever I want:upyeah:.

14. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
  15. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    Excellent:upyeah:.

16. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    Glad to help

17. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Must be a good mate, I don't even let my wife near my machine lol.

• Like Like x 1
  18. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    He certainly is Richard. We have been riding mates for 45 years. We have swapped and lent each other motorcycles for years. I take custody of his machines whilst he is away and he does the same for me.

Great mates indeed.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2