Engine Starting Problems

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by lodekka, May 9, 2017.

1. lodekka

lodekka New Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Forest of Dean
    I have a 2014 T100 with just over a thousand miles on the clock. Today it started fine. I did a six mile journey., left it for an hour then started it and did a short 2 mile journey. On restarting the engine it was just as if it had a flat battery and the engine hardly turned. Tried again and it span up as normal. Rode the couple of miles back. Left it for a couple of hours and it repeated the symptoms. Ran perfectly on the six mile journey home. Got home and it did the same but on some 6 attempts at starting it during this afternoon it started OK every time. Battery is showing just over 12 volts on my test meter. Question is what caused it and what should I be looking for tomorrow when I look over it? .

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    If your battery, when at rest, is show just a little over 12 volts, the problem is almost certainly there? It should be a minimum of 12.6 Volts.

Connect the battery to a charger and leave overnight. Then try again.

3. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    It sounds like it is intermittent.
    May be something as simple as a loose or poor battery lead connection.

4. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    I've had that problem on and off at times. I don't think it's the battery, especially as at the second or third attempt, it starts up perfectly. My guess is that it is the clutch sensor: whenever that happens, I pull like mad at the clutch, and it usually starts up fine then.

Should really look into it a bit more carefully, but it always ends up starting up anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  5. lodekka

lodekka New Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Forest of Dean

Update on the situation: - It has started fine the last couple of days.
    First time, every time.

I contacted my local Triumph dealer who did know of this clutch sensor problem but they also advised me to check the battery and I got the following readings on a standard dial type meter: -
    At rest = 12.6V
    Ignition On = 12.2V
    On Start Up = 11V
    They recommended spraying the sensor in the lever with a product suitable for electrical contacts..
    Thanks for your answers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1