Thruxton Engine fault signal

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by HenryII, Apr 21, 2017.

1. HenryII

HenryII Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    South Norway
    Getting it on the Thrux, changed the sensor on both sides. Did not help, guess a diagnostic will travel over the North Sea to Hinckley Hope they will sort it out, have the BC Predators waiting but I think Triumph don't need something to hang the problem on

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello Henry, let me see if I can help.

So if I understand correctly you have the engine management light (EML) coming on and staying on whilst the engine is running?

You have changed the O² sensors on both downpipes? The EML remains on ?

If you have cured the problem by changing the O² sensors, it will take 3 cold/hot/cold cycles before the EML will go out on it own.

IF it doesn't go out after 3 cold/hot/cold cycles, then the problem lies elsewhere. So your first thing to try is as follows:

1. Starting with a cold engine, go for a ride until the engine is fully up to temperature, then stop and allow the bike to FULLY cool down.

2. to this two more times. If the light stays on, we'll talk more.

Don't forget to feedback,

Cheers
    Dave

3. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Is the Thrux supported by Tuneecu? If so can also reset it that way and check any error codes as well.
    Welcome as well to the forum Henry.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi Gary
    Seeing as you are in a helpful mood would you be able to help nicetown with his bonnie
    I know he has TUNE ECU but don't know if he knows the procedures for clearing faults he's in the thread bike won't start
    I don't have tune ECU (yet)so don't know how to do it

5. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Not used it that much myself yet. There's a few others on the forum that are more experienced in using it.
    If you start a new thread on it I'm sure there will be plenty of advice offered.
    I just wouldn't want to give bad advice due to my not having used it that much so far.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Ok mate cheers
    Don't want to start a thread until I get it
    Then watch out I'll want to know everything!'!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. HenryII

HenryII Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    South Norway
    Update, let the dealer look at it again. It still blame the sensors when we run the diagnostic program.
    It has been lifted up as an unrecognized error at Triumph.

Tested so far.

Reset everything via the oem diag
    - Cold boot/start came on at once
    - new reset
    - Started no error, ride it warm and after 20 min new error

What i notice, the bike has small pop from the exhaust,and it seem that
    it posp and so just before the lamp goes on.

I have a feeling it is running a little to lean.

Will keep you posted

• Like Like x 2
  8. Midas

Midas Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Manchester, UK
    Henryll........did they tell you what the code was that was registered?

9. Midas

Midas Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Manchester, UK
    Gary McKelvie.........small world mate, I come from Bellsbank originally, moved down here to Manchester when I was a kid.

10. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    @Midas I'm from Stirling originally, the old man joined the Army so moved around a fair bit over the years. Just moved to Patna in the last couple of months. Was in Chester just before moving up here.
    No doubt passed through Bellsbank today as was up at Loch Doon with friends. Enjoying the sunshine whilst it lasts ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Midas

Midas Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Manchester, UK
    Bellsbank is a real shithole now compared to when I was a nipper. I spent a lot of time walking round the hills round Loch Doon....You would have passed through Dalmellington to get there, you have to take a right turn in Dalmellington to get up to Bellsbank so you wouldn't have actually gone through it as their is only one road in and the same one back out. You've got some amazing roads up there mate...Enjoy :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. HenryII

HenryII Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    South Norway
    No But I can check it up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. HenryII

HenryII Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    South Norway
    Problem solved, and I must say I am a little surprised. Not sure when, but Triumph have changed the color mark on their cables red/green from one side to the other. They must have forgotten to inform everyone at the assembler line.

From the fabric it was a cross error, left sensor on right and the opposite. On the bright side, nothing really wrong with the engine. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1