Electrical Woes - Speed Triple 955i

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by nicop, Oct 1, 2014.

1. nicop

nicop New Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Hi All,

im starting to dig into the electrics on my 1999 955i triple and have a few questions of you good folk.

1. Headlight operation, when I stick on sidelights nothing happens, im presuming the two small bulbs are shot so not too worrid, but when I stick on dipped headlights only the left hand light comes on. when I switch to full beam or flash the second full beam comes on as well as the left, bu tthen goes back out when back on dipped. is this normal?

2. Relays, this may be related to the above, but previous owner seems to have b4stardised the wiring a bit, could this be the cause of my above issues and if so what relay should be here.

WP_20140928_007_zpsb182e491.jpg

3. I had what looked like a bodged additional earth wire from the headlight looms to the left hand side of the headstock where the headlight bracket mounts. is this normal on a speed triple to have a earth point there, or is this a bodge to be removed.

4. What is this connector, and why the loopback, is this normal?

WP_20140928_008_zpsbae191c2.jpg

any help will be really gratefully received.

thanks

Nick

WP_20140928_007_zpsb182e491.jpg

WP_20140928_008_zpsbae191c2.jpg

2. GladImbackontwowheels

Sep 26, 2014
    Dover Kent
    The white connector block with the loop of wire is where the factory alarm would fit and is correct.
    The relay bodge will almost definitely be the problem with your lights and could cause other problems such as battery drain etc. You need to fit a new relay, and while you're at it check and clean the others as they are known to be a little problematic.

3. nicop

nicop New Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Ahh nice one, I can ignore that connector then. I will pop out the relays and clean and get a replacement for the missing unit. Any idea on part number for the missing item, (Sorry I haven't got a service manual just yet).

Regards

Nick

4. GladImbackontwowheels

Sep 26, 2014
    Dover Kent
    Check out here: Triumph Parts / World of Triumph If you put the part you're looking for in your basket and then click on it you will get the Triumph part number.

5. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    I take it that you have replaced the right hand lamp too ? if not it could just be the dips knackered...

6. nicop

nicop New Member

Sep 15, 2014
    yep afraid i have tried another lamp in that one and the same result, swapped the headlight looms also, still looking for the relay part number forthe switchover relay as im a bit slow