Vintage Tiger Electrical Fault?

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Gerry Evans, Apr 3, 2024.

1. Gerry Evans

Gerry Evans New Member

Jan 17, 2024
    Wiltshire
    #1 Gerry Evans, Apr 3, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
    Hi everyone. I started my 2005 Tiger 955i up yesterday morning to go out to meet some friends at a cafe. It started fine, was running okay and then suddenly cut out. The dash lights had all gone out and there was no response to the starter button. Removing the seats I found that the 10 amp fuse for the lights & accessories/clock had blown. I replaced the fuse and all was fine, but riding in I noticed that the speedo and tacho needles would suddenly both dip to zero and then back up to their reading positions. This happened multiple times on the way there and back home. I didn't notice any drop in engine note or a drop in voltage on my voltmeter (fitted myself) so I am totally bemused as to what is happening. I recently had a new stator and regulator fitted, but had done a long trip to the Bristol Classic Bike Show a few weeks back with no problems. Has anyone any ideas?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    @Gerry Evans
    Sounds like there is a loose connection there somewhere. Start with the battery terminals and fuses are they loose. Sorry but i think you will just have to work your way through the system. Unless someone has experienced a similar fault. Joe

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    I would check the wiring where it passes the headstock. Look for damaged / frayed wiring that could be shorting out intermittently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    Took a look at the Triumph shop manual for my 2023 Bonne T120 on their Triumph Technical Information website and saw that there is an electrical service bulletin for my bike; maybe there is a service bulletin for yours.

• Agree Agree x 1