Dodgy Scrappage Experience

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by gazzatheyid, Oct 5, 2024 at 9:10 AM.

1. gazzatheyid

gazzatheyid Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Hi guys,

Sadly I had to scrap my Thundercat after it sat in my mates garage for too long.

The experience was interesting! After posting on a couple of the 'scrap my bike' sites. I had a few messages asking the general state of it and for pics (still talking about the bike )

I was honest about it being a non runner and being in a garage untouched for a couple of years etc. I agreed a price with one merchant and advised there would be no haggling so take it or leave it.

Fast forward to collection day and the very casually attired chap insists the engine has seized and he won't take it as it's not for him. However, he could take it as a freebie and very kindly dispose of it. So I told him to leave it then as we'd agreed a price and I said no haggling. At which point he says he's not trying to haggle but asks what's the least I'd do and they'd need some diesel money!

I told him again to leave it and I'd pursue the other interest I had. He then changes his tune and will pay the agreed price.

All very amusing! Bet they do this on every job.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I had a go on a brand new Thundercat that a mate had just bought in 1997, and I loved it.
    Fast forward to 2010, a Yamaha YZF600 was on the cards as a reintroduction to road bikes. The magic was still there, IOM Manx GP, Cadwell track day etc but it was getting tired and I didn't want to invest lots into it.

Great bikes and very underrated.

Selling bikes is getting worse especially through ebay, gumtree, FB etc. It's absolutely full of w4nker5 and chancers.
    You were right to hang out for what was already agreed. ;)