Dealer Test Rides.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by PJT, Oct 21, 2014.

1. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    I am planning on buying another motorcycle in the near future from a main dealer. Obviously I want to test ride a similar machine before committing myself.
    Question one. How much time should a dealer allow me to test a machine?
    Question two. How many miles should be allowed?
    Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

2. Last test ride i had, i was let loose for an hour, there was no limit on the mileage, i just had to return it with a full tank of fuel.

• Like Like x 1
  3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Never had any restrictions with demo bikes, though I would be liable for 1st £1,000 if I damaged, it at one dealer! I've mainly borrowed bikes when mine has been in for service, though I got to try a 750 Trident before buying my 900, and a 595 Daytona before I bought a 955i jobby. General attitude has always been "Bugger off and enjoy it, then let us know what you think."

Works for me!:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Normal test ride time in busy periods at a dealer is an hour but if you have a chat to the dealer and ask to maybe take their demo out mid week when no one else has booked it then two or three hours should be possible, not usually a restriction on mileage.
    You will need to be over 21 and they normally like you to have had your full bike license over 2 years
    They will need to photocopy both parts of your license and will ask you to sign an agreement that if you damage or write the bike off, you pay the insurance excess (probably £1000.00) Some dealers also do not like you taking a pillion on the demo.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Triumph dealer in Manchester let me have a bike all afternoon and it was on a Saturday too. One thing I must say don't just test a bike on your ideal favourite routes if you use a bike for commuting then ride it through a rush hour to see if you get on and how it likes to respond to frying temperatures and gap jumping. Eric

6. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    The only dealer I have had issues with is Honda, the Moto Guzzi, Hog, Suzuki, Beamer, KTM and Triumph have all said take as long as you want, just bring it back with the same fuel level.

Have even taken different bikes out successively at both Beamer and Triumph dealers.

You need at least an hour to bring out any comfort issues unless its a Honda adventure model when you are best keeping five minutes ride away as they are excruciatingly uncomfortable

• Like Like x 1
  7. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    Thanks for the feedback folks. When I was considering my Trophy, I visited the dealer and had test rides three times. Maximum test ride was four hours. That was mid week. I felt that I needed to know that the machine was suitable for long trips in the saddle and I wasn't fatigued at the end of the runs.
    One dealer that I have recently approached would only allow a test ride of one hour duration. Not good enough in my opinion. Especially if I'm parting with thirteen grand.