Considering Buying A 1200speed Twin Or Thruxton...

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by TwoLeftFeet, Oct 8, 2024.

1. TwoLeftFeet

TwoLeftFeet New Member

Oct 8, 2024
    United Kingdom
    #1 TwoLeftFeet, Oct 8, 2024
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2024
    I own old motorcycles that don't have electric start.In fact they don't have much apart from wheels, an engine & a frame (and brakes). I no longer ride every day but do go on relatively long trips lasting a few days and usually around 1K miles - as far as I am concerned, more is good.

The industry would like to pigeon hole me, probably as a sports tourer rider and try and offer me what they think I should want; I am just not interested. I quite like a half fairing but don't want a full.

I would like a visually attractive modern bike with the following luxuries:
    • Electric Start
    • Cruise control
    • centre stand (i.e., it's available and I can buy/fit it if I want if it's not already provided)
    • Fun engine, not marketing compromised/strangled
    • ability to fit luggage, throw-overs are fine
    • can customise, pillion rail/grabs would be nice
    • good range - if the tank is miniscule, then a larger one is an option either OEM or 3rd party
    I have looked at:
    • Kawasaki Z900 and would buy one if it had cruise control
    • KTM's - but they are as attractive to my eyes as a wart
    • BMW have a 1000cc half faired rocket ship with a great tank, but that makes the KTM look beautiful
    • Ducati 900SS - but it's fully faired and the tank isn't that great
    • Yamaha MT10 - designed for someone else (I have had two Fazer 1000's)
    • Other Kawasaki's - about as attractive as the BMW
    • Suzuki - nothing to see here
    • MV Agusta - Nah, meh.
    • Indian - ridiculous tank
    • Harley - can't cope.
    So I find myself back at Triumph. I've already had a T509 from Jack Lilley's (good bike) and a 955 Daytona which was a huge disappointment after stepping off an FZ1000.

I hadn't clocked the 1200 Triumph's but it seems they really have something here, so I though I'd dig a little deeper.

Looking at the Thruxton, it's got:
    ✓ electric start
    ✓ optional throwover panniers & mounts
    ✓ optional pillion rail (with seat)
    ✓ great engine
    ✓ optional half fairing​

Great! so Triumph have recognised people might want to go out for more than a 20 minute ride *and* take some luggage! What's it missing?
    × cruise control
    × centre stand (even as an option)
    × larger tank (even as an option)​

I understand Triumph physically removed the ability from the Thruxton ECU to provide cruise control.

This is whilst a moment's lack of attention to the speedometer can lead to prosecution/ban; I mean what else would you be looking at? Maybe the lower bars don't leave room, but then again they could offer the Thruxton with higher bars. Beats me.

OK, let's see what you can get for a Speed Twin 1200:
    ✓ cruise control
    ✓ electric start
    ✓ great engine​

So on the bike which has cruise control, none of the useful sports tourer options are available.

For both, I would have loved to have a centre stand option and it would be really nice to have a significantly larger tank available; think Norton 750 Roadster with 10 litre tank & the 850 Interstate with 19 litre tank.

So what to do?
    • Fit McCruise to the Thruxton? I'd rather not
    • Are there dedicated/welded frame mounts for the half fairing on the Thruxton for the half fairing and if so, do they exist on the Speed Twin? I am aware the bars are different, that would be my problem
    • Are there dedicated/welded frame mounts for the pannier mounts for the Thruxton and if so, do they exist on the Speed Twin?
    It seems to me Triumph could offer a perfect bike - or one that could be customised by the buyer to be so. I don't want a Speed Triple 1200 BTW.

So where to go from here? Over to you guys for your knowledge & guidance please.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jamesian21

Jamesian21 New Member

Apr 15, 2024
    Texas
    T120 has cruise control, center stand, luggage options, highly customizable, fun engine though not AS sporty as speed twin or thruxton but performance mods are an option, and range is ok depending how you ride

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TwoLeftFeet

TwoLeftFeet New Member

Oct 8, 2024
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the information and taking the trouble to reply. I have a couple of things to sort out, so I have time to think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    I had a Thruxton 1200 and now have a Speed Twin. Not much difference apart from the riding position, and I never found the Thruxton that uncomfortable in any case. Lots of Speed Twins with cockpit fairings and luggage options on the forums, but haven't seen one with a half fairing. Seems to me that James suffestion of a T120 might be your best choice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TwoLeftFeet

TwoLeftFeet New Member

Oct 8, 2024
    United Kingdom
    I have had a good look and the headstock lugs for the Thruxton fairiing are not present on Speed Twins, so if I bought a Speed Twin it would either be weld lugs (& deal with possible loom issues as the headlight would be further out) or a bikini fairing - or leave it alone. If the Thruxton had cruise control, I think I'd already be a new owner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jez Doh

Jez Doh New Member

Oct 2, 2024
    Australia
    Have you looked at the bonneville t100? Might be a good middle ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Speaking as a T120 owner... would a BMW R9T give you the options you want?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TwoLeftFeet

TwoLeftFeet New Member

Oct 8, 2024
    United Kingdom
    Absolutely not - I have had two beemers (R90/6 & R100RS) - they're OK but I am glad they are in my past. I really do need to take a 1200 (T or ST) out for a spin, as they apparently seem to offer the enjoyment I have had from owning Ducati's.

Having said that, BMW do seem to offer some rather fetching colours like San Remo Green Metallic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. edtxw01

edtxw01 New Member

Feb 17, 2024
    UK
    I have a Speed Twin 1200, I've covered 8,500 miles in the past year, longest single day ride was 460 miles and have just returned from a 1,300 miles trip to Picos de Europa, Spain. So it's comfortable for long trips, I've fitted SW-MOTECH panniers which provides sufficient luggage for a trip. The only down side is the small tank (14.5Ltrs) which means a fuel stop every 120 to 140 miles, although I have ridden 20 miles beyond 0 miles range but wouldn't recommend it. Performance is adequate, great at lower speeds but beyond 70 to 80 mph it gets a bit tiring, so I tend to ride around 65 mph most of the time. With the panniers there's not really any room for a pillion, but it's not really a bike for long distance two-up riding. It sounds great, looks great and is perfect for both long and short rides. For anything else I use my Goldwing