Clutch Wont Shift Up

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Imfranco, Aug 22, 2024.

1. Imfranco

Imfranco New Member

Aug 22, 2024
    Illinois
    2016 t120. Having problems shifting up starting from 2nd gear. Adjusted cable. Didnt fix it. Installed new friction plates, didnt fix it. I saw something about 16’s having some issue that is between the shifter and transmission but it isnt a transmission issue. I cant find info again. Anyone have any info on what issue could be or how to remedy before i hang it up till next season and bring it to a mechanic? Idk if its just me nut good mechanic shops are hard to find around chicago.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    #2 Pegscraper, Aug 22, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2024
    I believe there was a gearbox selector issue on some early production 1200 twins which can give changing problems and sometimes locking in one gear. AFAIK this was addressed with updated selector components on later production runs. The repair/upgrade doesn't require engine removal or a full stripdown. Do a search on some parts websites with your VIN. They are also prone to selector fork damage if dropped on the LHS and the gear lever takes a hit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy Imfranco :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Imfranco

Imfranco New Member

Aug 22, 2024
    Illinois
    Yes. Thats what i thought i found before then couldnt find again. Problem literally just started a few weeks ago. Thank you. Maybe incan get it fixed and back on the road before winter!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Boothman

Boothman Noble Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    Hi and welcome to the forum :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Welcome to the family. Not good news about the shifter. Did you try moving it one spline up or down sometimes it does make it change better. Do hit the upload a file button bottom right and show it of to the inmates.

7. Imfranco

Imfranco New Member

Aug 22, 2024
    Illinois
    Moving what up or down one spline? I do not know what that means

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome…

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire

I think he means rotating the lever on the shaft which just alters the position of the lever relative to the footrest. I altered mine from new as I have quite big feet and found it an easier, more comfortable change but it's just personal preference and I doubt it's causing the problem you're experiencing TBH.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    @Imfranco Yes that is what i meant to say. Move the gear change position. But like said probably won't help. Just i had 675 and moved the gear change to suit my feet better but it was a real beggar to change gear till i put it back. Sorry only trying to help. But as the peeps said i there is a fault get on to a dealer and see what Triumph are going to do about it.

• Like Like x 1