Clutch Switch Problem

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Mr.Goodwill, Dec 16, 2023.

1. Mr.Goodwill

Mr.Goodwill New Member

Mar 24, 2019
    London
    Hello,

I am currently in the process of renovating a 2014 Bonneville America and have encountered a specific issue. The clutch switch on the handlebar was broken and damaged, prompting me to purchase a new switch. However, the replacement switch is not functioning properly. Upon investigation, I found that the switch pin is excessively long, causing it to remain pressed at all times. Normally, the pin should retract when the clutch lever is engaged, breaking a circuit and preventing the engine from starting.

It is perplexing that the original Triumph switch does not resolve the issue. This appears to be a common problem with Triumph bikes, as the company relies on small independent manufacturers for components, often changing suppliers frequently. Consequently, same catalogue parts may vary, leading to compatibility issues with the intended models. This variability makes it challenging for major motorcycle spare parts suppliers to stock Triumph parts, especially for older models. This results in parts suppliers being reluctant to stock Triumph parts.

In this particular situation, I believe a viable solution would be to carefully file the pin, shortening it by approximately 3mm. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem and found a successful resolution?

IMG_2615.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Is it the original lever? Or is it possible that the lever got damaged at the same time as the switch?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I've seen this problem before when changing levers, cured by drilling a hole in the lever to accommodate the longer pin if the pin itself can't easily be shortened or the switch mount modified.

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I have done a few of these, all I did was use a Dremel with a metal cutting disc, cut it to correct length and chamfer the ends.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mr.Goodwill

Mr.Goodwill New Member

Mar 24, 2019
    London
    #5 Mr.Goodwill, Dec 16, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
    Gentlemen, thank you for the messages above. The lever is original and undamaged. That's why I was surprised to encounter this problem. I need to modify either the lever or the switch. Drilling a hole in the lever may weaken it, so most probably, I will just cut 3mm off the pin. This needs to be done gently to avoid breaking this quite fragile device. A pain in the neck, dealing with these Triumph incompatible parts

Added later : just to let you know. I have cut off 3mm of the pin making it shorter. It shorts the circut now as it should. Now, I need to solder the wires as the connector wich came with the switch is not compatible again, and the wires are to short. Triumph .... oh.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1