Clutch 2011 speed

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by JACKO, Nov 21, 2013.

1. JACKO

JACKO Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Anybody find the clutch a problem on their speed?

I like mine on no 4 on the span adjuster, but find unless I pull clutch lever right to the bars, I either struggle to get neutral or have clunky gear changes.

I have checked lever free play which is spot on .

Moved lever postion to suit me, but still no better.

The clutch lever seems better on say span adjuster on say 1 or 2, but then I struggle with it.

The bite point is literally an inch from the bar.

The clutch doesn't drag or slip, but unless I pull all the way to the bar on each shift you get a clunk. The bike has only 900 miles on the clock, so I can't see it worn.

Might try some different levers to see if I can get a better lever throw.

Let me know your thoughts, I do suffer from a weakened wrist from a crash years ago, so maybe its me.

Ta in advance

2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    You should be able to adjust the clutch cable out not just the span adjusters. If you sit on the bike, to your right on the side of the engine case you can see the clutch activation lever that moves when you pull the clutch in, the adjuster is right there.

3. JACKO

JACKO Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Checked that, clutch lever free play doesn't change whatever span adjuster is on.

Its the throw that changes.

If you try different lever spans and look at the cable and clutch actuator ( right side) the exposed cable you can see moves less or more depending on the lever span.

IE no1 at lever pulls the actuator more no 4 less.

Cheers though

4. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    I found the standard levers a bit inbetween were I wanted the bite - but the ASV's I fitted sorted that out! :upyeah: I see where Rich H is coming from, I wanted the bit point a bit further out and buggered about with adjusting the cable etc - but the new levers helped get it where i wanted it to feel comfortable.

5. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    I think perhaps Jacko would benefit from...... Perhaps a pair of Pazzo levers?

Enter.... mr.h

• Like Like x 1
  6. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    Ha! LMFAO - I think we've already killed that horse Pig :eek:

7. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Or, was it this one?..... View attachment 2459

• Like Like x 1
  8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Jacko I think you misunderstood Richard.. He is talking about adjusting the bitting point of the clutch NOT the lever span on the lever.

The adjuster you are talking about is for span adjustment but you can also alter the clutch by adjusting the cable.
    How old is your bike, what's the mileage and have you had it serviced. Your dealer should be able to adjust the clutch for you on a service.. you just to let them know it's not where you want it....

9. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Yep :upyeah:

10. JACKO

JACKO Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Sorry Richard didn't mean to sound impertinent, I get what your saying now.

I have had a go at adjusting the cable at the clutch actuator end, still got an early bite point though, will adjust it more. Got 2-3 mm free play at the lever, as the manual says.

Screwball the bike is a 2011 with only 900 miles on the clock, the dealer did service it before I got it, except they aren't a triumph dealership, so perhaps they never checked it although fresh grease at the pivot when i picked it up.

Will take a look later, cheers guys

11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Jacko
    If you have only just got it take it back an ask them to adjust it... You may find it settles in as you ride it.. Can't even remember where mine is.... May have to go and have a look....
    You can shorten the cable by using the top and bottom adjusters, wind them out so not a lot of thread is showing. That will shorten the cable and adjust the hitting point.. Do 1 end at a time and take it easy as if you over do it you'll have clutch slip..

• Like Like x 1
  12. JACKO

JACKO Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Cheers

Will give that a go.

Can't see me riding it though for a bit, salt everywhere now.

Will pop to dealer, and get them to adjust if no improvement

:upyeah: