Cleaning Oil Off Rear Tyre.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by BT81, Sep 12, 2024 at 6:35 PM.

1. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    Hi,

So I had my bike serviced the other day and looks like the oil cap wasn't securely tightened. Heyho.

I only noticed, as I've just ridden to France (staying at Albert tonight and heading to Troyes tomorrow) and noticed that I've oil on my back tyre.

I've wiped what I can off with a rag (I'm in a hotel), and obviously tightened the oil cap. Anything I need to do, just ride in as if it's a new tyre. Or do I need to get it replaced?

For the oil, there appears to be plenty in the oil window, so I don't think I need to get that filled up. I'm only here for a few days.

Doh.

Looking at the odd photo I took, I can see it was leaking on the train, by this point I've already done 200 miles, plus then another 100 in France.

There is a triumph dealership nearby in Amiens if I need to pop there. Nightmare.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    #2 Boothman, Sep 12, 2024 at 11:41 PM
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2024 at 11:00 PM
    IMHO - Just scrub the tyre with soap, washing up liquid, etc and hot water. Rinse and repeat, until it dries off looking uncontaminated. If you can get a nail brush or such all the better

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    If you can get any, a good strong solution of traffic film remover will do the job. Don't be tempted to use white spirit or any solvent cleaners. I certainly would not consider changing the tyre!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    @BT81 Agree with the hot soapy water.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bruce Tas

Bruce Tas New Member

Jul 10, 2024
    New Zealand
    Find some dirt and do a burnout in it.

6. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    YES STRONG SOAP WATER.....hopefully the rubber is not impregnated.....if it is....well???????

7. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Amazing Grace
    I know one of the other responders has advised against using solvents but I’d use brake cleaner which is what I’ve used to get the odd splash of chain lube off of the tyre with no apparent detriment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. edtxw01

edtxw01 New Member

Feb 17, 2024
    UK
    I wouldn't worry about it, the oil won't damage the tyre, you've already ridden 300 miles on it. As long as the majority of the oil has been wiped off, then enjoy the ride.
    You could ride through oil on the road at any time but after a short distance it will have wiped off the tyre.

9. usaabn

usaabn New Member
    Subscriber

Aug 17, 2024
    western north carolina
    I have used brake cleaner too. I did not use it on a large portion of the tire. I was doing a track day when the F3 sprung a leak. If hot water and a good dish detergent had been available. Soap and water would be better.