Buzzing Noise From Engine - Scrambler 400x

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Spudknuckles, Oct 17, 2024 at 8:13 AM.

1. Spudknuckles

Spudknuckles New Member

Yesterday
    Australia
    Hi all. I'm new here so but I hope you won't mind me leaping straight in with a technical question. I did introduce myself first in the Newbies Hangout so I hope I'm not jumping the gun :cool:

I bought a new Scrambler 400x back in January of this year. There have been several niggling issues with the bike but the most frustrating is an unusual and unpleasant buzzing sound coming from the engine. It's particularly noticeable at ~4,000 RPM in any gear while the bike is in motion. A recording can be found at the link below (turn up the volume and preferably use headphones):

Buzzing 400x engine noise

I've checked, re-seated, secured, padded or temporarily removed just about anything on the bike that has the potential to vibrate. I strongly suspect it's a cam chain/tensioner issue, but I would be very happy to be wrong on this if anyone can offer a logical alternative diagnosis.

The recording was made while doing ~40km/h in third gear (~4,000 RPM) and the fault is very repeatable as you pass through, or sit on that rev range, particularly when the bike has warmed up. The noise becomes increasingly obvious on longer rides. Aside from the regular engine sound, there's a distinct 'buzzing' like an angry wasp inside a tin can. Its quite loud and rather embarrassing.

This was reported to the Triumph dealer soon after purchase. The service department at the dealer in question (there's only one Triumph dealer in Adelaide upload_2024-10-17_17-32-58.gif ) kindly checked the bike over but somewhat staggeringly, the mechanic reported hearing nothing out of the ordinary. Having been reassured and sent on my way, I had hoped the annoying engine noise would diminish once the engine bedded in a bit. Sadly, the noise remains after 3000 km+

The dealer is aware of the problem but has yet to agree to do anything about it. I'm new to Triumph, and a relatively new rider. I wondered if anyone has experienced something similar.

Any advice would be very welcome.

2. Boothman

Boothman Noble Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    Take it back to the dealer

• Like Like x 1
  3. ajc400

ajc400 Senior Member

Jun 4, 2024
    Glasgow
    #3 ajc400, Oct 17, 2024 at 10:43 AM
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2024 at 11:05 AM
    I also reported a noisy engine to the Triumph dealer, not like yours, but occasionally there is a kind of metallic sound on the over-run, and I was assured that it was normal. He pointed out that my last bike was a Honda, and a Triumph never sounds like a Honda "sewing machine"!!

I've just gone with it and if it breaks, it breaks. The engine sound has improved with a few miles (nearly 3,000 miles now) but I must admit, it's not the nicest sounding engine to my ears.

Listening to your audio, and if you are worried by it, I think I'd maybe try the dealer again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ajc400

ajc400 Senior Member

Jun 4, 2024
    Glasgow
    Here is an interesting video of the Triumph sign accentuating noise by acting like a loudspeaker! I can't check mine as it's away for repair after a small coming together with a pickup, but have you check this?

Clutching at straws, I know, but you never know!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1