Bubbling paint

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Grumpyrob67, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Grumpyrob67

Grumpyrob67 New Member

Jul 3, 2014
    West sussex
    Ok so trawling through the forum, it seems the plastic tanks cant cope with the higher ethanol content of modern petrol, ( which is only going to get higher ) not a chance i'm going to get a respray every 2 years. Does anyone make a metal tank for modern bikes? I think i will look through old copies of practical sportsbike as i recall someone getting a tank made for their 90s bike.
    Cheers, Rob

2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Hi rob, I had problems with my mz skorpion tank swelling as well as bubbling which was PA6 nylon or something. It was the same manufacturer who supply Ducati too. Luckily I have a few tanks and I have lined one with a liquid liner which seems good to date. The problem is that these tanks swell so bad that the shapes no longer fit the mounts nor frames and no matter what users say about drying the things out, they just never shrink back properly. Eric

3. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    I have seen on E Bay that India are making tanks for old vintage bikes so might be worth a look at them to see if you can get one ,but over here would be mega expensive to get a steel tank :upyeah: