Brake Fluid Reservoir Schoolboy Error

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Joe2020, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Joe2020

Joe2020 Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Scotland
    While cleaning my bike yesterday I was fiddling with the brake fluid reservoir, idly wondering whether to get a nice billet one. Evidently I didn’t do it up properly. Nothing leaked riding to or from work today, until I braked quite hard before turning into the petrol station, after which there was some brake fluid on the front of the tank and steerer area. Wiped it up, tightened the reservoir cap and washed the bike with loads of water and some Muc Off spray when I got home five minutes later. I’m pretty sure I’ve got any fluid spilt cleaned off.

My question is, can I just top up the reservoir with some more DOT4? It’s pretty much on the lower limit line now, so at worst I’ve lost an amount equal to the difference between the upper and lower limits. Bike was serviced in July and I assume fluid replaced (it’s still nice and clear). I don’t know what brand fluid is in there. Any harm in just topping it back up?

2. Joe2020

Joe2020 Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Scotland
    Cheers, that makes sense!

3. Georgez

Georgez Senior Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Pacific North West
    "I was fiddling..." That will get U every time.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Joe2020

Joe2020 Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Scotland
    Won’t it just!

5. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    If you decide to go for a billet reservoir then LSL make a nicer one than the one from the Triumph catalogue. The Triumph reservoir comes with a most unattractive warning sticker plastered across the lid (which probably says something like 'Don't fiddle with this'). The sticker can't be removed. The LSL is smaller, neater and doesn't assume riders are idiots.

If you look at the chap who does the YouTube vids 'Views from the Mancave', you'll see how to switch reservoirs very easily.

6. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Fill the reservoir. If the brake lever does not feel spongy it should be fine. But if at all spongy then you need to bleed the brake.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Joe2020

Joe2020 Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Scotland