Brake Fluid Leaking From Front Reservoir

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by ScreaminWargasm, Mar 14, 2020.

1. ScreaminWargasm

Feb 25, 2017
    Essex
    #1 ScreaminWargasm, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me regarding a brake fluid leak from the front fluid reservoir on my 2017 Speed Triple R.

I contacted the dealership and they told me that either the rubber O ring or rubber bladder may be damaged and need replacing, but according to them, Triumph only sell the entire unit costing 80 quid!
    I have removed the plastic lid and checked the bladder that looks fine however, there is no rubber O ring in there.
    The only time this has ever been removed was when the dealership changed the fluid on the second service and I've never touched it since.
    When I called them back to tell them this, they now saying they don't know if my bike should have one in it after all, and obviously trying to avoid taking any form of responsibility for it.

So what I need to know is should it have an additional rubber O ring/washer that sits on top of the bladder?

Having looked at numerous parts websites, it would appear that it should have part number T2021509 which is called a Big Flange Fitting however, I'm not sure if this is for a reservoir with 2 screws to hold it on (like mine) or one that has a screw on lid.

Im not prepared to pay Triumph 80 quid for the sake of a rubber washer. It would actually cost less to replace the entire part with a CNC machined part.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mick

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I would have thought if it's on the parts diagram, you should have one.
    I have the same bike, I'll take a look at mine tomorrow, and let you know if I have one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. topbanana0

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ScreaminWargasm

Feb 25, 2017
    Essex
    Thank you for replying to me. I did find that link but what confused me was that part doesn't appear to be from a reservoir that has the 2 screws to hold the top on and looks more like one where the actual lid screws on.

When I took the top off mine earlier, the two screws go through the bladder itself so not sure how a rubber O ring would seat properly unless that also had holes.

If you are able to check yours I'd be very grateful to you.

Thanks again

Mick

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    ScreaminWargasm
    I would have though it would have the o'ring beneath the reservoir its self. And yes you could fit a better version from any bike. Or a special race one.
    Regards
    Joe.

6. topbanana0

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Morning Mick, just taken a look at mine.
    There is no washer, just diaphragm, and it's the type with two screws like yours. So I guess that's how it should be.
    Just to put your mind at rest, I had a little brake fluid come out once. I put it down to over full, or have heard it can be down to heavy braking.
    That's why they have socks over them on race bike apparently, I thought it was to keep fluid at a certain temperature.
    This is the number on my diaphragm if that helps 10.2711.60

• Like Like x 1
  7. ScreaminWargasm

Feb 25, 2017
    Essex
    Thanks for taking the time to check for me. I really appreciate it.
    Now I've cleaned it up, I'll keep an eye on it and change it to an aftermarket one if it keeps leaking.

Mick

8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I have had this before and found that when filling it I had over filled the reservoir, fluid had squeezed up through the little breather hole in the diaphragm and then leaked out from there. Just make sure that the diaphragm is totally dry on top

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ScreaminWargasm

Feb 25, 2017
    Essex
    Thanks for your advice mate. I cleaned and dried the bladder before putting it back so hopefully it'll be OK now. It doesn't look like it has too much fluid in it. It's sitting between min and max marks and it hasn't been touched since the dealer changed the fluids last year.
    I'm hoping it's sorted now I've dried it though

• Like Like x 1
  10. topbanana0

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    No problem, mine never did it again. Was going to put a sock around mine, but keep forgetting

11. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Take the rubber seal out and dry it completely also the seat of the reservoir this should solve your problem

• Like Like x 2