Bonneville T120 2018 - Rear Brake Light Won't Go Out

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by CJExpat, Sep 25, 2024 at 5:24 PM.

1. CJExpat

CJExpat Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2021
    Reading, UK
    So I was feeling very proud of myself as a newbie mechanic, repairing a broken control plate on my 2018 T120 thanks to this excellent thread here on this forum:

However, having completed the job I was dismayed to find that the rear brake light was stuck on "on". I think either the initial accident (bike went over on the right hand side) or my subsequent repair job may have somehow damaged the switch.

Can anyone help with any advice on how to diagnose / fix on this specific model? I've found a number of threads online about this problem but they are all 10+ years old and relate to other models.

I am a complete rookie at bike maintenance so very clear, kindergarten-level step-bystep explanations would be hugely valued ... pictures would be immensely appreciated !

Thanks in advance !

• Like Like x 1
  2. CJExpat

CJExpat Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2021
    Reading, UK
    Update - problem resolved. The solution was embarrassingly simple but posting it here in the hope that it might one day be of use to a fellow rookie !!

The is a small metal plate on the rod that is driven through the master cylinder by the rear brake pedal (as indicated on picture). This controls the pressure between the brake pedal and the cylinder and it needs to sit behind the plastic brake switch slider peg, facing backwards. I had left it out facing forwards!
    :pensive:

Thanks to @22T100Jon from whom I borrowed the photo, from the thread mentioned in my previous post.

Big shout out (again) for Andy at Bulldog Triumph in Winnersh (Reading) for looking at the problem for me and fixing it FOC - only a 5 min job but he did it in the pouring rain when he could just as easily have been having a coffee break. Great service as always from Bulldog.

Screenshot 2024-09-26 143619.png

• Like Like x 2
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Bulldog Triumph and Andy Are definitely getting some recognition for being way out there in the aid for bikers and Triumph riders. Well done boys and Girls now keep it up we are very proud of you all. And @CJExpat Glad you got your machine fixed. We all need to say thanks to the dealers and tradesmen who go that extra mile for us.