Bonneville America 2014 - Not Starting

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Mr.Goodwill, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Mr.Goodwill

Mr.Goodwill New Member

Mar 24, 2019
    London
    Hello, greetings to all members.

Recently, I purchased a Bonneville America 2014, which was a non-runner with a flat battery and no ignition. I installed a new battery, and upon turning the ignition, the lights came on, the green neutral indicator lit up, and I could hear the fuel pump initiate. However, when I pressed the START button, nothing happened. All fuses are intact, and the start switch on the handlebar is functional. Upon short-circuiting two terminals on the Starter Relay Switch (the big bolts), the engine cranks, indicating that the starter motor is operational, and the engine is not seized.

Unfortunately, I don't have an electrical diagram for this bike. Therefore, I would be extremely grateful if someone here could provide me with some guidance.

On a side note, I find it inconvenient that Triumph designers/engineers placed the Starter Relay Switch in a rather impractical and awkward location—underneath the engine, making it inaccessible without a motorbike stand. The same applies to the oil filter, which is also challenging to reach. Quite a shame.
    IMG_2537.jpg IMG_2538.jpg

2. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    #2 RickM46, Dec 5, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
    Bought a Triumph accessory center stand for my 2023 Bonneville; works great for maintenance.

3. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    Any news on your progress??

4. Mr.Goodwill

Mr.Goodwill New Member

Mar 24, 2019
    London
    Yes, indeed. A fellow Triumph owner pointed out that these bikes require the clutch to be pressed to start, even when the NEUTRAL green light is on. I was not aware of this and unnecessarily checked the RELAYS SOLENOID. Additionally, I discovered that the clutch switch in the lever was not functioning (it had been ripped off). Consequently, I shortcut the switch and started the bike. What a lovely sound!"

• Like Like x 1