Boneville Bobber Misfire

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Ukcjones, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Ukcjones

Ukcjones New Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Uk
    Hello all,

I’ve never used a forum before so if it’s wrong please help lol.

I have a 2017 Bonneville Bobber with very low mileage up until now with no problems. Since the recent storms (bike kept outside under a cover) the bike has developed what seems to be a misfire on the right hand cylinder as you’re sat on the bike. Seems to misfire backfire and intermittently only run on one cylinder. I’ve tried draining the fuel out of the tank and putting fresh in just in case there was water in the tank but this doesn’t seem to have made any difference. I have tried WD40 on the spark plug connectors just in case there was water there and it’s just the same.

any advice would be great.

thanks, Chris.

2. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hi Chris, and welcome to the forum!

I think you'll find this group a very helpful lot. But you may also want to introduce yourself on the "Newbies Hangout" Forum so folks can say hi and then you can ask your questions about your bike. This is a great and very helpful community especially once you're on and have said a proper "hello"!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum and what DD said :cool:

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Hi and welcome in :)

5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

6. Ukcjones

Ukcjones New Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Uk
    Thanks will do.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ukcjones

Ukcjones New Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Uk
    Thanks all I’ll get to my local dealer today and see if I can get the upgraded caps.

thanks for the info

• Like Like x 1
  8. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Hi and welcome

9. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Chris and welcome to the forum :cool: wishing you well on resolving your spark issue and looking forward to seeing your ride

10. Ukcjones

Ukcjones New Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Uk
    Hello all again ....update on the bike ....managed to get to the dealer today and get two new plug caps ....swapped them over bike still unwell. Doesn’t want to properly at all now seems to be backfiring as well new and then cuts out.

11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Disappointing but replacing the caps should not have made things worse so maybe first check they are firmly attached?

After that, it is time to limp to the dealer and see what codes, if any, get thrown up. Your description could be fuelling or electrical.

I take it you have done the obvious of checking battery connections and wiggled every connector in sight from ECU multiplug to coils low tension.

12. Ukcjones

Ukcjones New Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Uk
    Hi thanks for the response ....I’ve just taken the battery off to put it on charge so will make sure it’s reconnected correctly.
    I’ve double checked that the caps are on correctly although checking the other end is more difficult as it’s under the tank I think, but again a great suggestion.
    Not checked the ecu as I’m not sure if it’s location do you know where it is?
    Kind regards

13. Ukcjones

Ukcjones New Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Uk
    Hello again all,

Another update ....took the plugs out today and they look really black and sooty tried new ones still a bit rough but will run ...this would maybe suggest over fuelling?

Again any suggestions would be great it’s as I said a 2017 model with around 2.5k miles.

thanks guys

14. Ukcjones

Ukcjones New Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Uk
    Hi thanks here a pic....no not sure on plug chop...

image.jpg