Blast, engine oil leak spotted now weather is getting better

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by PETER CLARKE, Feb 28, 2016.

1. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Just noticed today on my weekly run up of engine that my manifold is burning a wisp of blue smoke, investigation time.

2. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Its a engine oil leak from, hold on I'll clean area first

3. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Was going to check that leak out today but first I had to clean cooker as apparently had not been cleaned since Christmas last year:mad:, how oven do self cleaning cookers need cleaning ???:rolleyes: maybe the bike tomorrow then:)

4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    sack the mrs,lol

5. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    How can I she is the boss

6. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    This afternoon I have cleaned front of engine and dried of with brake cleaner I will try and get out on bike sometime this week when weather improves, really chilly and wet today:(, then i will see where engine oil bleed is from.

7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Don't forget to put some talc around the suspected area, it stops leaking oil from spreading so you can pinpoint it better

8. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Thanks crispey good idea but it looks to be where i cannot get talc I need it in spray can form tracing powder but have not got any so it will be a 10 mile run and a test looks like leak is from n/s of engine where its been stand over winter months but has been on paddock stands so has not been leaning that side.

9. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    A nice afternoon lets get on the road 10 miles no leak 20 miles engine oil weep from Camshaft cover seal at n/s/f corner parked up in garage till it had cooled down managed to get to a cover bolt to check tightness found loose so others must be as well:(, ordered cover seal,plugs,fuel filter and seals from Suffolk Triumph then I'm going to check valve clearances and clean my K&N air filter while i am doing all this,the engine oil and filter was replaced in November last year so will not have to do that.

10. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    All the parts are in for my bike all I need is to collect them and have a l:):)k round at the new bikes and the Triumph goodies.

11. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Head red hot, coughing,spluttering, foreign matter coming out of air intake, poor performance, occasional back fire and me wheels are falling off ............................... I might have to go and see my GP.

• Like Like x 1
  12. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    or a shit hot mechanic.lol

Hope youre firing on all 4 cylinders soon

• Like Like x 1
  13. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Thanks

14. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Hi Pete, sounds like fun, glad it's not my problem. Best of luck and fingers crossed you get it sorted.

15. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Pete,hope you feel more "up for it" soon - Man 'flu eh? Serious stuff that ;);):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Thanks Al alcohol in hot drinks is helping:)

17. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Thanks Biglad, I cannot remember feeling this ill ever:(

18. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well not since the last time!:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  19. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Just a small thought for you to mull over Peter re engine oil leaks.

A friend of mine once over oiled his chain. He thought nothing more of it but a few days later he noticed an oil leak which looked like it was coming from the NS engine case. It leaked down onto the side stand mounting.

On further investigation it was coming from underneath the front sprocket cover and the chain, and gradually oozing down the block to the bottom of the engine and onto the LHS exhaust downpipe. A good thorough clean with Brake cleaner had it looking sparkly again and after wiping surplus oil off the chain, no more oil leak drips on the floor.

20. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You'll be fine soon enough mate - it's just hell while you're going through it. Assuming you're a coffee drinker, a small shot of Brandy in your drinks helps a lot - so I'm told :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1