Bike theft and security issues

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Dave Perkes, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Dave Perkes

Dave Perkes New Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Southampton
    Im not sure whether this is the correct place for this as I dont seem to be able to post any other places at the moment

I am still reeling from the shock of finding my Sprint GT 1050 that was stolen overnight.
    I had only just put it back on the road MOTd etc after 6 months. It had been in a workshop for a few days having the MOT done, panniers repainted and a few minor marks on the fairing done at the same time.
    The bike looks and ran fantastic I was looking forward to getting out for rides now that Spring was here.
    Just over 24hours or so after I took it back to my home it was stolen overnight. The bike was locked and covered at the side of my house so could not be identified from the road.
    I have a suspicion that somehow the key was taken while the bike was in the workshop and a key was cut. I do not believe the owner would have been directly responsible. However I do not know whether the key had been left in the ignition for any time while the parts had been worked on in a separate paint room.
    The thieves must have known my address somehow as I don't think that they would have stolen it at random. I only had the bike out on my drive on view for a few hours as I was out and about locally during the day. I just wonder whether its possible to find out the owners address from the Reg No?
    Security of keys in workshops are a potential risk; so I would ask dealers, mechanics and customers to be vigilant and not take security for granted.
    The likleyhood of my Sprint to be found is unlikely according to both Police and Insurers. I gave the Police full details of the incident and my theory of what may have happened. They noted but would not take any action like interviewing the works owner.

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

If something's worth having the scumbag bastards will find a way
    Feel for you mate I've had a bike stolen in the past

3. Thruccy Sean

Thruccy Sean Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Now I have a decent bike stories like this do worry me :(

Sorry about the bike mate.

4. Dave Perkes

Dave Perkes New Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Southampton
    I did not put it in my shed as it was impossible with panniers on and as I have left it regularly at the side Of the house I did not consider theft as likely I had a chain somewhere but had not used it while it was stored for 6 months

5. Dave Perkes

Dave Perkes New Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Southampton
    I did not specify the bike being garaged.
    I dont think it was oportunist as I only had the bike on my drive for a few hours in one day and pushed it down the side of my house in the evening full covered so It was well out of the way by 10pm.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    #6 MickEng, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Firstly, sorry to hear about the theft Dave, that is a real pisser!
    I would be thinking along exactly the same lines as you though.
    It could be opportunist, but I think it far more likely that some twat has been tipped off.
    I would certainly speak face to face with the workshop owner and tell him in no uncertain terms of your suspicions.
    Having read some of the other threads regarding security, I hate to say it mate but it does seem like you have been a little underprotected.
    Unfortunately with bike thefts on the increase and even being blatantly stolen in broad daylight on high streets, parked at the side of your house without chains, disc lock, alarms etc. makes it far too easy for the scumbags.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Wasp

Wasp Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    Burnley NWUK
    Shite news pal. Happened to me a few years ago.

Keep us posted on how things go, and whether the thief is caught.

ATB

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    So sorry to hear your bad news. You save your hard earned cash to buy your pride and joy and some scumbag steels it. It is not just the loss, but the empty feeling that goes with that loss. I hope you can find something to replace without too much impact on your wallet. Grrrrr........
    Wessa

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. martingw1

martingw1 Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Sorry to hear you've been a victim of thieving lowlife's, as a victim myself a few years back, I know what it feels like, however, mine was whilst I was out in town, to have it taken from your property is a double invasion. I suspect the same as you, it was not a random "joyrider" theft. It is possible to get your address from the reg nos, apparantly the dvla will provide details for a few quid if you write to them stating why it's needed, i.e. this bloke filtered down the line of traffic and wiped out my wing mirror, but didn't bother to stop, but I managed to get the reg nos as he carried on into the distance etc etc. The problem was highlighted by MCN, as thieves were basically using the dvla as a shopping portal! It is more likely that you were either followed home at some point, or as you suspect a key was cut and details obtained from where you were having the work done. Facebook has also proved a good hunting ground for tealeaves, another reason I ain't on it! The following home, something I'm very wary about has happened to us recently. Last month my wife took delivery of an mx5 rf launch edition, within a fortnight she had two very dodgy geezers following her home, I asked her why she thought they were following her, her reply was that the whole demenour of these two was odd, evrytime they clocked her studying them in the mirrors, they made out they were turning left, but never actually turned in anywhere! Fortunatly, she lost them in a warren of a new estate they have built near us, she has since started varying her work times, more working from home, and even going in my car from time to time! (can't be too careful these days). Good luck with your insurance company, I hope it's settled promptly and hassle free, took them four months tom settle my claim, when I queried it, they said that was the time needed in case the bike was found, fat chance of that!

11. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Just to add to this
    The bike I had stolen was a Kawasaki GT750 shaft drive which I parked at the side of my house (no garage) it was secured by two cheap chains and padlocks and a very impressive Abus Granite D lock which fitted tightly across the swing arm through the wheel and across the shaft drive
    One day I was gonna go for a ride and snapped the key in the Abus lock.....DOH!!!
    Next weekend got a grinder from work and spent hours cutting the lock off on the Sunday
    Went for a ride and put the bike back using the cheap locks and chains
    Going to work the next day with money in my pocket for a new lock. As I left our house the passenger door on my van flew open so I went back to check
    Found two cheap locks and chains where my bike used to be! The scummy b#€t*rds had used tools from my van to rob my bike
    Insurance wriggled out of paying
    Took the best part of two years to save for another bike
    Before I got it I bought a shed with no windows and double doors
    The scummy parasites came back and broke into an empty shed!!!
    That shed ended up being the most secure shed ever
    Covered in barbed wire
    Alarmed
    Security lights
    Booby trapped (illegal)
    Couldn't relax ever again at night
    The next estate to us was a bit like Shameless
    Fortunately we live in a better place now and I have a garage to keep my bike in
    Still now though I don't leave my bike out on show
    As soon as I get back from a ride. Straight into the garage
    Outta sight outta mind

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Shamus13

Shamus13 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
    Shite news this, hope you are sorted soon. I by my own admission am paranoid, maybe due to been brought up in the back streets of Hull. In a better area now but I'm still aware of security like been followed home or having my bike on view. My bike never sits on the drive even when warming up. I know everyone may not have a garage or a means to hide the bike but having the bike hidden is a must given society nowadays.

• Like Like x 1
  13. David Ward

David Ward New Member

May 5, 2017
    west yorkshire
    I had my 18 month old fireblade stolen from a 5 star hotel car park in the cotswolds which had a 24 hr security guard. The bike was outside my ground floor bedroom, chained and alarmed. Work that one out. I agree with a previous post if the scumbags want it unless your on it and moving there is a chance you could get it nicked.

14. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Pssst wanna buy a Fireblade ?

Sorry David shouldn't make jokes about it I know it's a horrible empty feeling when you're bikes stolen

15. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I would be suspecting the security guard or the check in at the hotel where you have to give your vehicle details.
    Far too much of a coincidence, if the hotel are offering 24 hour security as part of the hotel overall booking package they should take responsibility for the theft.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. David Ward

David Ward New Member

May 5, 2017
    west yorkshire
    i

17. David Ward

David Ward New Member

May 5, 2017
    west yorkshire
    its all history now. the insurance co paid out and it co-oincided with honda dropping thier prices to to combat grey imports. result got a new fireblade for the insurance payout and £200 quid.There is a god

• Like Like x 3
  18. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Dave Perkes

Dave Perkes New Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Southampton
    Thanks for all your messages of support.
    To follow up my Triumph Sprint GT was found wrecked in a dodgy area where according to the locals, gangs of youths create havoc but the police don't go there and residents are too frightened of reprisals to do anything.
    The Police did nothing other than let me know that they do not have the budget for anything less than a major crime now.
    My insurance paid up less a hefty Excess and I bought a replacement a few years older than my Sprint GT I spent 700 pounds extra on servicing and accessories on the KTM which was the price of the settlement of the newer Triumph.So I ended up out of pocket as a result.

Sadly 3 weeks after buying it my replacement a KTM has been stolen. In spite of locks and Alarm immobiliser.
    I had kept the bike out of sight unless using it; however I had to move it into the drive for a few hours and by the morning it had gone.
    Its scary to think that my home must be watched by criminals.
    I think I may have to give up biking altogether.
    The thought of driving in traffic jams in car does not fill me with much enthusiasm.

• WTF WTF x 1
  20. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    I have cctv over my bike - any movement nearby and a text with image is sent to my phone. If I catch anyone - hope he likes baseball:mad:

• Like Like x 4