Bike safe

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Bumblebee, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Booked myself onto a BikeSafe course at St Asaph in N Wales for September (Only 30 mins from Chester)
    Concerned it might be too Highway Code orientated (Driving cars 40 years so don't need that!) but seemed worth a shot for only a tenner.
    Anyone ever done one?

2. ren

ren Member

Jul 10, 2013
    wigan
    Hi Bumblebee, I've never done 1 of these courses as I've only recently passed my test, but I'm interested in this course and its not too far from me in Wigan. Could you send me the details, as any further training can only help. Thanks:upyeah:

3. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    I've done 3 of them now.

Forget any preconceptions about the Highway Code.

They are brilliant and I'm sure you'll enjoy it immensely and learn a lot :wink:

Edit: And I've been riding nearly 40 years which disproves the old adage about old dogs and new tricks

• Like Like x 2
  4. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Did one a few years ago and I enjoyed it; don't remember any any questions on the highway code. Spent most of my time riding with a uniformed motorcycle police officer who followd me and gave feedback as to my riding. Think it made me a better rider and is well worth doing

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 Bumblebee, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    Hi Ren!
    Web site: http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/

My booking:
    You have been booked on to a BikeSafe workshop with the North Wales police force. Your workshop will take place on Saturday 14/09/2013 at:
    St Asaph

Unit 31, Llys Edmund Prys
    St Asaph Business Park
    St Aspah
    Denbighshire
    LL17 0JA

8:30AM

Finding my nearest centre on their web site was not as simple as it could have been but got there in the end (N Wales) - there may be a nearer one to you - just check their locations in the drop down.
    Still some way off so likely to be places available at St Asaph and after Rich and Folkblokes comments it sounds like it should be good!
    Maybe see you there - I have a friend taking his Fireblade - not sure if we'll get to ride together as he's been riding a few years now and I've just returned after a good few years away from bikes.
    bb

• Like Like x 1
  6. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #6 folkbloke, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    The three I've been on have been slightly different depending on who's taking them and how many attendees and police riders they have but in general the format is normally a classroom session about the System of Motorcycle Control (you'll probably be given the manual) and related topics.

You'll be asked about your experience and assigned an "assessor" who will take you out and follow you. In my experience the police riders vary their approach depending on how experienced you are so less experienced are catered for (and encouraged).

Then a final classroom session.

All in all an amazing deal :smile:

Although they probably won't do a full check of your bike make sure it's taxed, insured and MOTd, your tyres are good and the "loud" exhaust and small number plates are replaced :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  7. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    I have been meaning to do this course, then onto advanced riding. Let us know how you get on, do you think you could covertly record it with your bike cam??

• Like Like x 1
  8. ren

ren Member

Jul 10, 2013
    wigan
    Thanks for the Info Bumblebee, I've just had a look and the one you're doing is 63 miles from me, so further than what I thought, The Merseyside course is £50 or £60, So I still might go for the Wales course. Thanks again.:upyeah:

9. Front and back Spanky :upyeah:

10. Wow! £50 - £60 :eek: I assumed it must be £10 all over!

• Like Like x 1
  11. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    Cant beat a bit of front and back action

• Like Like x 2
  12. Explorer

Explorer Member

May 31, 2013
    The Merseyside course is £60 but its a two day course sat and sun. It's just up the road from me on the Wirral so I think I will have a go on the 8/9th of September course.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ren

ren Member

Jul 10, 2013
    wigan
    Hi Bumblebee,
    I'm booked onto the same course as you , Looking forward to it, Going to do a dry run in a couple of weeks, It will be my first big ride out, so hopefully I wont get too lost.:upyeah:

14. That's great Ren - look out for you there :upyeah:
    bb

15. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    Ive booked the same one. See you guys there!

• Like Like x 1
  16. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I took the course in 2,000. It was £65 but was a full 2 day job. It was at the police headquarters in Colwyn Bay. Half a day in the classroom and half a day on the road, both days. It included lunch both days (fuck me those coppers eat well). At the end we got a copy of the highway code and a copy of 'Roadcraft' (the police rider's bible). I am a faster, safer rider and enjoy riding more as a direct result. I'm taking my RoADAR course soon as I want to get Bloodbikes kicked off in North Wales. Watch this space!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Becoming a Triumph ride-out! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 3