anyone used this?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dougie D, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i was in Halfords yesterday and bought a tin of Muc-off Miracle Shine..don't know why as i have a full bottle of Auto Glym in my garage :rolleyes:. anyway i thought as it's the time of year when i give my bikes a thorough clean i would give it a try. i had to get the magnifying glass out to read the instructions on the back on how to apply (ridiculously small print)..just as well i did as unlike Autoglym you just leave it on for 30-45 seconds before polishing it off. It comes in a metal container so you cant just squeeze the polish out, you have to give it a good shake then pour it out, according to the tin it contains a fusion of 3 separate waxes and a number of highly advanced ingredients and some other fancy ingredient that repels water and atmospheric pollutants ;)
    P1020577_edited-1.jpg
    i always thought Autoglym gave the best shine, but i think this is even better..plus you don't have to worry about it leaving white marks on the seat or anywhere else.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I have used some of the other Muc-Off products, very good, you get what you pay for.
    With the risk of repeating myself, get yourself a Halfords trade card if you haven't got one.
    (And NO! I don't work for Halfords or have any shares in them)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    would you like fries with that....oooops wrong shop :D:D

• Like Like x 2
  4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Apply on line on the Halfords website and then take a business card or letterhead into your nearest branch to verify it.
    Certainly worth having plus regular updates on special deals.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Good on yer!
    Discount varies but a few examples I have bought are:
    1/2" breaker bar £24 reduced to £18
    Castrol 1 4T Racing oil £40 to £32. (Cheapest I could find on eBay was £35.99)
    3/8" & 1/2" torque wrenches about 20% off
    You don't get any further discount off their promotional offers.
    Definitely my first port of call now if I am looking for tools or oil etc.
    All my tools are the professional range with lifetime guarantee.

6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I got a Halfords trade card with my Mech Eng degree certificate!!!

Some things are ridicoulously cheap, bulbs and wipers were a total steal compare to their retail price. Tools are often cheaper when on sale, which they often are, but I always use my card and usuaally get between 10~30 % off. :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Back to the OP :) I've used Miracle Shine for a few years, I've tried others but ime it gives the best results - and is easy to buff to a deep shine which lasts. And lasts.

8. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    @Dozers Dad So what did you use to get the trade card?

9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

A technical qualification is what they wanted from me. You got an O level in metalwork?

10. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Back to the OP (again). As someone who likes cleaning their car to OCD level as I find in therapeutic after sitting in front of a screen five days a week I've done a lot of research on this in detailing forums. Prepping the paintwork first is key - quality shampoo, polish to remove light swirls, clay bar to remove fallout and other contaminants, cleaning wipe, carnuba wax x 2 or 3 layers. Water almost leaps off my car now and the paint feels smooth as glass. The deep gleam belies it's true age of six years old. Also helped me get a cracking PX deal on the GSX I and handing over to my Triumph dealer in part payment for my T100 in a couple of weeks.

I'm sure the Mucoff is a good product but do your prep first for even better effect.

11. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    A shared bucket of grimy water with no grit guard, no rinse bucket (or wheels bucket) a sponge *shudder* and a greasy shammy? Not a chance. I may be odd but I do find it relaxing plus I get to know if any of the bodywork is damaged for any reason and needs fixing.

12. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

A clay bar to remove contaminants??? Sir Trev, you tread a very different car path to me, but you have piqued my interest... what's a clay bar??? Please tell me you are rubbing you car down with something akin to Morph!

IMG_1582.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    It is quite literally a bar of refined clay, not as sticky as the modelling variety though. Using water or quick detailing spray as a lubricant you lightly rub it over the paintwork after washing and polishing. It removes an amazing amount of embedded rubbish - just fold the clay over a few tines every now and then to use a clean bit as you go. Rinse then use a quality carnauba wax for a glass-like finish.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1