Touring Annual Visit Back Home

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by MoreT, Aug 7, 2024.

1. MoreT

MoreT Noble Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    So as the weather was improving and I hade some time to use up I decided to extend a planned trip to Whitby and carry on up North.
    On Saturday I met up with the gang and we had a day enjoying fish n chips, Then Sunday morning I took a spin around the town with my dad and went up on the hill to remember my brother.
    I found this pub I didn't know existed.

20240720_073028.jpg

Then I headed on to my return to Scotlandia.

• Like Like x 4
  2. MoreT

MoreT Noble Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    #2 MoreT, Aug 7, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
    The route was as follows:
    Falkirk where I intended to camp for two days. However the campsite (next to the Wheel), was mozzy ridden and it rained solidly. It's not far from Bonnybridge the UFO capitol of the UK, so was going to sit out and watch the skies whilst dropping a brew or two, but got rained out.

20240721_170513.jpg

In the morning I went to look at the wheel as I haven't seen it in the flesh, however I was a wee bitty too early and nothing was open. To be honest they were not clear on parking charges for motorcycles so I rode down to the drop off point then rode away. Seen it now!
    I decided to ditch the second day and packed up camp and headed for Invergorden to sleep in a real bed. A full Scottish breakfast and full night's sleep later I did an ad hock tour of the Highlands based on my old stomping grounds.

20240723_080503.jpg

Up over the Struie (aka the B9176) to Bonnar Bridge, stop off at the viewpoint of the Dornoch Firth.

20240723_094803.jpg

Then along the firth from Bonnar Bridge towards Dornoch. So far lovely roads to ride along, I decided not to stop at Dornoch as I've done it to death but I recommend you do if your in the area. I rode up the NC500 route until I met Loch Fleet and then the Mound then headed across country back past Rogart (ah first footing memories), Then on to Lairg.

20240723_104852.jpg

And Ullapool, heading back through Inverness towards my mates house outside Aberdeen. Here I bummed about a bit doing nothing in the sunny Aberdeenshire countryside, counting the number of joy rider's cars stuffed in hedges. A few of my mates in the area gathered at the Brewdog brewery proving I did hold the skills for organisation.

• Like Like x 6
  3. MoreT

MoreT Noble Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    As I had arranged to meet family for lunch at Salisbury Arms Edinburgh I had to get up early and on the road. In my rush to get my gear on I dislocated my left bird finger. Thank Himself that it wasn't my right. I popped it back in but it was pretty sore. We met up and had great lunch, reminiscing on times before and in particular our brother who has passed.

Now I still had a few days in hand and the weather was improving. I had intended to take my time going south but i didn't cherish the idea of extended riding and camping with a fugged finger. So I made the decision to make the 8 hour trip to my home base and get the professionals to give it a coat of looking at. Still a wee bit sore but looking for the next ride and at least I'm able to play the strings. Will be at Haling Island on Thursday for the bike night. Worth noting this is probably the first of many times doing this trip on a bike and it didn't rain buckets, not even on the M6.

• Like Like x 4
  4. ajc400

ajc400 Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2024
    Glasgow
    Shame the Falkirk Wheel was closed when you visited (parking is free in the lower car park area by the way), I sent these photos to my Grandson a few days ago - he will be visiting soon and wants to see it. A wee ride on the boat is good fun!

IMG-20240805-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20240805-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20240805-WA0003.jpg

Our favourite stop is further along the canal at the Kelpies. These huge sculptures are really impressive! Maybe next time...

20240331_143143.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    @MoreT Great pictures. And like ajc400 said Kelpies it is something else. I would go again tomorrow. Coming from Ireland I have always said how nice and scenic it was. Well that was till I visited Scotland. It is the tops and every thing hold so much beauty. Yes I intend to go back asap

6. ajc400

ajc400 Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2024
    Glasgow
    I'm feeling very lucky - The Falkirk Wheel and The Kelpies are each around 15 miles from my house, and a visit to The Kelpies is virtually a weekly event - park at Falkirk FC's car park, cross the road, and it's a pleasant 1/2 hour walk through Helix Park to the cafe.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Payney

Payney Member

Aug 26, 2023
    Derbyshire
    That looks a great trip and great pics. I visit Whitby a couple of times a year and rode up there in July. It's a cracking place for pubs and fish and chips, some good roads over the moors too. I'm glad the ban on motorcycles at the railway station car park got overturned. The council banned them but a petition by bikers and locals who support local businesses saw that off pretty quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1