98 Thunderbird Sport Starts When Button Released

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Wookiee, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Wookiee

Wookiee New Member

Feb 1, 2023
    Norfolk
    Hello All,

So, oddly my 98 Thunderbird Sport will occasionally start only when the starter button is released. I've had the switch apart and cleaned it, but this didn't solve it. I also have issues at times starting when it's warm. It can take a few attempts at firing. I fitted new plugs and Motobatt battery only a few months ago as part of the service, and I've cleaned the carbs.
    I'm thinking perhaps I'll replace the ignition coils....... what do people think and if i change the coils, any recommendations appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Does the engine turn over when you hold the starter button in?

3. Wookiee

Wookiee New Member

Feb 1, 2023
    Norfolk
    Hi. Yeah it turns over without issue.

4. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #4 Wire-Wheels, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    Sounds to me like the starter is drawing down the voltage enough that the ignition voltage is low until you release the starter button. You need to figure out why. Is the battery weak ? Is the starter drawing too much power ? Are the ignition coils the problem ? Could be a switch problem but, I don't think so. ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    I had exactly the same issue with a car, as soon as l released the key it would start, this is exactly the point where the starter stops drawing current.
    In the 70's it was popular to fit a 6v coil to get over this low voltage on cranking problem.
    As someone has already said,probably a battery or starter motor fault.