955i for a newbie?

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by paletooth, Mar 18, 2013.

1. paletooth

paletooth New Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this . I'm looking to buy my first proper bike sometime in the next couple of months as I'm taking my direct access in the next couple of weeks . I'm looking at ether a 955i triumph a 900 tdm a 1000cc varadero or a st 1100 . I've tried the triumph and the tdm and the triumph has the edge .I'm 43 and 6'4 so it gotta be a tall bike . I'd love to hear your thoughts on this and places and groups in and around doncaster

Cheers

Andy

2. Conquest Racing Ltd

Conquest Racing Ltd Contact us for your Triumph Forum discount
    Trader

Feb 2, 2013
    Dorset
    Hi Andy,

Welcome to the family & the forum. It's always difficult choosing your first/new bike as these days there's so much choice. Best advice I can give you is try as many as possible and which ever you feel most comfortable with/on which is going to do what you intend for use is the right bike. Asking advise is ok but there's so many different rider's out there who use their bikes in different ways it just becomes biased and confusing.

So bottom line is buy what your head and heart tell you and not one or the other.

Safe riding and good luck

• Like Like x 1
  3. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.
    Exciting time for you my friend....
    Concept Carbon is right,go look, go test ride and go buy!! Summers coming, we could all tell you which to go for and we could all say a different bike....:eek:
    You won't go wrong with any you've listed, you will love riding which ever you choose especially as you haven't had a big bike to compare it...
    Good times!! :upyeah:

4. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Quite a decision on what bike to go for as a first bike; I know the others have said try as many bikes out for a test ride as possible but you may not be able too. Most dealers insist you have held a license for at least a full year before they will let you take a bike out for a test (my wife had that problem when she did her direct access test)

You may not need as big a bike as you think, I am 6' 3" tall, used to ride a tall Ducati Multistrada but now have a Triumph Speed Triple. The Triumph triple engine in whatever type of bike is an easy engine to use, smooth, pulls from low revs, and is not intimidating for newer riders but will still go some.

In my opinion lighter bikes are more fun, easier to use, easier to pick up when you drop them:eek: and handle much better but it depends what you want to do with it. Good luck in finding the right bike and let us know how it goes........ Even if you don't go down the Triumph route.

Not sure how many members are from up Doncaster, appears a big cluster of us are near Nottingham which is not that far away.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Very good point Rich, sorry I forgot about dealers requirements.. :eek:
    And you are spot on re the triple engine, are you thinking maybe tiger 800??

6. paletooth

paletooth New Member

Mar 18, 2013
    morning guys thanks for the advice . i tried a triumph full fairing job may have been a speed triple im a bit hazy and didnt like it as the bike seemed to ' disappear ' beneath me and it felt very cramped and uncomfortable . ill using the bike for recreation and the odd jaunt to work as my work is moving from doncaster to sheffield sometime soon might even throw in a little touring isle of man tt irish road races and the fallkirk wheel which isnt a race or anything just something id like to see . tried a buell for size good height but i looked stupid on it as it was so short . so im still mulling over the four i mentioned . once again thanks for your advice .

andy

• Like Like x 1
  7. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    All the Tigers are worth a look at and suit the taller person. The Tiger 800 is the smallest and most off road focused, the 1200 Explorer is a big bike with off road abilities but aimed at touring and long trips and then you have the 1050 Tiger which has just had a re-vamp with the Tiger 1050 Sport: basically a Speed Triple on stilts and has the same engine in as the Speed Triple.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Street triple any day... Best bike for newbies ever....... Full stop. And I've had a few bikes in my years...love them... And I now have the Speed so it's not like I have one either..(now)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Or a KTM SuperDuke in Black...

As a matter of fact I have one for sale... Good for tall people....... on a serious note.... Or a KTM SM/SMT...

• Like Like x 1
  10. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    I could of swore you were almost putting a KTM on an equal plane as a triple... I nearly fell over laughing!!
    Triple all the way :upyeah:

• Like Like x 5
  11. AusTiger

AusTiger New Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Agrees with RichardH i hav a Daytona 900 a Street Triple (2013) and a Tiger 1050 (2012) you have to be tall for the Daytona thats for sure my fav is the Tiger 1050 it rides like a dream but as long as you buy a Triumph im happy lol

• Like Like x 4
  12. paletooth

paletooth New Member

Mar 18, 2013
    hi guys just a quick update . finally passed my mod1 this week by thinking sod it and relaxing passed with only one minor . i may have found another bike that may fit the bill after i get my mod2 done its a yamaha bt 1100 i'd love to hear your thoughts on it guys i know this is a triumph forum and at present triumph has the edge . it looks a beast and i value the wealth of experience out there just trying get the right bike first so im asking questions

• Like Like x 1
  13. jonny

jonny Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    sunny cheshire
    well done for passing :upyeah: as for the bt, or bulldog, it was more of a wet puppy. Could sound great on open pipes, comfy etc, but never going to set your world on fire. Saying that, as a first big bike it could be good, nice soft power delivery, shouldn't get you into trouble, but it wouldn't take long to grow out of it. Just my humble of course :wink:

• Like Like x 3
  14. paletooth

paletooth New Member

Mar 18, 2013
    hi there and thanks for the info . from what ive read about the bt it only developes 64hp but its 6 times the output of my little varadero and if i get it and dont like it i can always trade it in lol

15. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    But good luck with your machine and congrats on passing your test:upyeah:

16. paletooth

paletooth New Member

Mar 18, 2013
    thanks sat and read all the reviews . everyone seems to say nice big friendly bike underpowerd but comfy be careful turning right with it at any kind of silly angle . found one in retford im popping over to have a look at it tomorrow . ive worked too hard and too long and too hard on my license to risk it . cheers for the advice guys

17. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Perhaps we wil get you on Triumph second time around. The Yamaha will seem like a rocket ship compared to a 125, good luck

• Like Like x 2
  18. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Congrats bud, personally I'd go triumph but then again I am slightly biased.... Lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    We know... LOL

• Like Like x 1